Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunnybunni Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Harassment At Work
    I have worked in a dentist office for 5 years. I have grown attached to my patients and most of the people I work with. It isa small practice, about 12 employees. There is a male that I work with who is a bully, lazy, and degrading to women. I have documented incidents with him getting in my face about things (how to sterilize instruments, to where things go in the office) he feels that women are inferior due to his heritage, and used to say things about it a lot, but not so much anymore because he knows he can get in trouble. I do all the work, and he sits around.

The office management agreed with me, tried to get him to listen, and he did not change. The last time I brought up his intolerable behavior, they said that I was the one to blame. I've gone to school for this job, and he has not. I mentioned that upon one of our discussions of how to sterilize instruments properly, and management said that I was stating it to tell him I'm smarter than he is, and that I was picking on him. I am just trying to maintain a healthy environment for our workers and patients. I cannot leave. I have done my time there and have a good paycheck and benefits. I want him fired. I want the bullying to stop. :confused:
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 26, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Do your job, and do it well as you have been. Help him with something if you have to, but don't go excessively out of your way to help him.

You've got a great heart with your respect for who you care for. You are the kind of person I would want to care for me. Can you really not find another place to work with the same or better benefits?

XenoSapien

Jul 26, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Thank you. I have looked around, but I really care about my patients and would miss them a lot. I feel that I should not have to run away from my workplace because of him. It should be him that has to look for another job.

If I were to start at another office, I would lose my 2 weeks vacation, my health insurance (for about 3 months, which I can't really afford) and all those friendships with the patients I work with. I have put my heart and soul into making the practice more organized and up-to-date. It would just be nice if they could provide me with a healthy environment to work in, as well as the other workers and the patients.

Jul 26, 2007, 04:11 PM
    You're right. You shouldn't have to go, he should, and you shouldn't have to leave--he should.

It may be dangerous to suggest, but can you go to your superiors' superior about this?

XenoSapien
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 04:42 PM
    If he is harassing you, and will not stop, and the management will not correct the situation, contact your state EEOC and file a complaint, they will assign an investigator, who will look into it, and try and work out a compromise with the management.

** of course companies often don't like being reported and in the future "find" things to file the person who complained.

Most companies just don't want to hear about problem.

Jul 26, 2007, 04:44 PM
    They'll fire her before she gets much through that approach, Fr. She needs to stay "under the radar" about this.

XenoSapien
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnybunni
    I have worked in a dentist office for 5 years. I have grown attached to my patients and most of the people I work with. It isa small practice, about 12 employees. There is a male that I work with who is a bully, lazy, and degrading to women. I have documented incidents with him getting in my face about things (how to sterilize instruments, to where things go in the office) he feels that women are inferior due to his heritage, and used to say things about it a lot, but not so much anymore because he knows he can get in trouble. I do all the work, and he sits around.

The office management agreed with me, tried to get him to listen, and he did not change. The last time I brought up his intolerable behavior, they said that I was the one to blame. I've gone to school for this job, and he has not. I mentioned that upon one of our discussions of how to sterilize instruments properly, and management said that I was stating it to tell him I'm smarter than he is, and that I was picking on him. I am just trying to maintain a healthy environment for our workers and patients. I cannot leave. I have done my time there and have a good paycheck and benefits. I want him fired. I want the bullying to stop. :confused:
    This is harassment. If they do not get rid or severely discipline this employee you have a probably lawsuit.

I disagree with XenoSapien about this, as a HR professional I do not believe anyone should suffer even a minute of harassment without the company interveneing.

SunniBunni you are very smart to document all the times he has been harassing. I would also document what was said in the conversation with management. I would continue to bring it up and if nothing is done after the second time I say go to your local labor board/EEOC office and file a complaint. From there I would take steps towards a suit regarding a hostile work environment.

No one deserves to be harassed at the office no matter how small the office. You're company is breaking the law there are laws against harassment sexual and otherwise. Please do not let this slip. IF necessary get others to document as well. Your employer is in the wrong for not handling this right away.

Jul 26, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    This is harassment. If they do not get rid or severely discipline this employee you have a probably lawsuit.

I disagree with XenoSapien about this, as a HR professional I do not believe anyone should suffer even a minute of harassment without the company interveneing.

SunniBunni you are very smart to document all the times he has been harassing. I would also document what was said in the conversation with management. I would continue to bring it up and if nothing is done after the second time I say go to your local labor board/EEOC office and file a complaint. From there I would take steps towards a suit regarding a hostile work environment.

No one deserves to be harassed at the office no matter how small the office. You're company is breaking the law there are laws against harassment sexual and otherwise. Please do not let this slip. IF necessary get others to document as well. Your employer is in the wrong for not handling this right away.
    It sounds like she works for a bunch of sexist men, Glinda. Remember, she doesn't want to leave; just make things right.

You are right--nobody deserves to be harassed, but "calling all cars" will make things worse.

XenoSapien
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 04:57 PM
    It still doesn't make it okay. I worked HR for Hedge Funds probably some of the most sexist men on the planet - if you don't take them to task for what they are doing it escalates to the point where people just quit.

If she doesn't want o get all "power to the people" I understand that - I'm a pretty tough cookie and I never have a problem calling a sexist pig out on the carpet.

But I do see where you are coming from XenoSapien

Jul 26, 2007, 05:00 PM
    You're right again! It doesn't make it okay, and it really is a horrible reality, Glinda. I guess I'm looking to protect her interests, and eliminate the guilty party. I see where you are coming from as well, GlindaofOz. :)

XenoSapien

Jul 26, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Actually, the only men are the dentist, and the jerk causing the problems. I am not sure why they have not fired this guy yet, it is obvious that they need to. They know that they are paying him to do nothing. I think they might feel that it is more convenient to keep him and not have to train someone else, but they also know how bad it would be if I left. But that brings me back to not wanting to be the one who leaves. I just want them not to be able to deny it any longer. It's almost as if the dentist feels that he would be turning his back on him or something... it's really weird.

Jul 26, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Ok, this is a PROFOUND revelation. I have to retract most of what I have told you, and say that you need to find somewhere else for employment. He didn't go to school for this? My dear, you've got me suspicious of not just him but you too, now.

XenoSapien

Jul 26, 2007, 06:23 PM
    No, he did not. He is a trained OTJ dental assistant, and that is perfectly legal. I am a registered dental assistant and have a licence in the state, I have expanded duties that he does not have.

Jul 26, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Well then shoot, sunny, maybe you could take his job. Boy, you really do have a tough situation.

XenoSapien

Jul 26, 2007, 06:51 PM
    I am asking if there is a way to get management to rid the office of the problematic employee and allow me to stay and make the needed improvements.

Jul 26, 2007, 06:52 PM
    It may then take going to his superiors.

XenoSapien

Jul 26, 2007, 07:02 PM
    His superiors as in the dentist? The dentist is the highest authority in the office and he doesn't want to be bothered with it. I know the easiest thing would be to just leave, but it's wrong and I want them to do the right thing.
    Canada_Sweety Posts: 597, Reputation: 49
    -

Jul 26, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Who cares if he doesn't want to be bothered by it? Bring it to his attention, and if he says that you should leave him alone, tell him you'll go to the authorities and say you're being belittled in the work place and that your boss does nothing about it. Trust me, any person who is high on the totem pole does NOT want their edifice having a bad reputation.:)

Jul 26, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Ok, so this is a private dentist. But dearest sunny, men have a p****, and most of them love to use it; physically or psychologically. Find a new job that is good with their offer, then call proper authorities on your now current place of employment with all the data as GlindaofOz has suggested. In this position, you will be safe, employed and can throw bombs from a safe distance. I know this is easier said than done, but the alternative is only to bite your tongue and tolerate it some more. You don't want that, do ya'?

XenoSapien
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 06:06 AM
    XenoSapien has a point - either you take it to the dentist - which in all honesty it IS HIS PROBLEM because YOU can file a hostile work environment lawsuit and a sexual harassment lawsuit (since your harasser is a men it could be done) and he will lose his practice.

So you have two choices grin and bear it since you do not want to leave OR go to the dentist and tell him that this employee is abusive and that you feel that he is making it a hostile work environment.

If after going to the dentist nothing is done then its on you to go through the steps I mentioned before. The fact remains that he isn't going to magically get fired unless someone brings his behavior to the attention of the highest authority in the business.
    OR If you do not want to raise hell about it then you have to decide do you want to work for someone who would knowingly continue to employ someone who is a harasser? If nothing is done I would do as XenoSapien recommended - leave and throw bombs from a safe distance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telecommunication harassment Ohio [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My boyfriend's ex girlfriend, calls me, sends me text messages, and emails me. I don't want any contact with her. I don't want to change my number unless I have to. I have saved every text message and email that she has sent me. She also assulted me I filed a police report but charges were...

Harassment /slander [ 1 Answers ]

I had a magazine write a story from my estranged husband, which was all lies, and I'm in court matters with ref him divorce/ injunctions and they gave all my details out in the magazine wher I lived my name pictures! They did not get in contact with myself1 to get my side of anything I feel I'm in...

Sexual harassment [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked for my employer over 3 months now and I am tired of the sexual harassment that I get from a couple of employees.It is affecting my job and I really don't like working there any more but I am kind of stuck.If I left,it would be very hard for them to replace me.Should I file charges...

Neighbor harassment [ 2 Answers ]

In a case of credit card debt, when the account has gone to a collection agency, is it legal for them to call the owner of the account's neighbors and discuss the account,etc. with them,on the pretense of being unable to make contact? If not, who can this be reported to?

Sexual harassment [ 21 Answers ]

I have the following question. There was a VOLUNTARY christmas party for the employees of the store I work at and we were not on the timeclock as attendees. One of the supervisors got drunk, and while joking put his hand on the knee of one of the girls he surpervises. He has now been put on a...

View more questions Search