Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flcn_69 Posts: 3, Reputation: -1

Jul 26, 2007, 10:46 AM
    I am a felon what now!
    I just got a grand larceny class c I never stole from my company or anything like that or even customers but it did happen. Right now I am sorting trash 12 hours a day at a plant. I can't do that forever what college degrees are profitable with a felony record? Oh I am 19 now
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 26, 2007, 11:06 AM
    You don't want to select a program based solely on how profitable it "could" be. If you don't like the area of study and work involved you'll do poorly... which will not likely be profitable to you no matter what area you go into.

What are you interested in doing?
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

Jul 26, 2007, 11:11 AM
    Also u have to think with a record what could you study the when you do graduate they will hire you even with a record.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Well with grand larceny on your record you would be hard pressed to find a profitable job in a business environment. Your best bet is to take a low level job in a good company that promotes from within. If you work really hard and make a great impression you could be promoted up into a more and more profitable positions. It happens often where I used to work. You just have to show the drive and determination. However, that felony conviction might be a door stopper into some companies. Good luck with everything, the world can make it difficult for those convicted who are now trying to turn their lives around.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 26, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Some ways to help your resume in your situation would be "extras" to impress.

Such as:
    Take a course in CPR at the Red Cross
    Volunteer at a charity
    --these things all show "improvement" since your conviction, which will give your potential employer more confidence in hiring you.

It may take some time because of your situation, but it's not impossible.

Another idea is something that MAY be in your state. In Michigan, the unemployment office works with an agency called "Michigan Works!" that will help you go to school, work on a resume, even find jobs on their website. Its FREE to ANYONE and it's a great service. Check your state to see if they offer it-- and check it out. They help people in your situation all the time.
    Hannah Senesh Posts: 6, Reputation: 4

Jul 27, 2007, 09:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flcn_69
    i just got a grand larceny class c i never stole from my company or anything like that or even customers but it did happen. right now i am sorting trash 12 hours a day at a plant. i can't do that forever what college degrees are profitable with a felony record? oh i am 19 now
    IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL RECORD! If anything matters, it will be if you have a FELONY DRUG CONVICTION, but even then you can go to college. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. I was told I'd be a good factory worker. It's a good thing I don't listen to everyone who had an uneducated opinion about something. Neither should you. :D Most companies will base their decision to hire you on your college record, unless you work for the state or federal government or something like that where they rely completely on the criminal record check. Even then, you stand a good chance, depending on the company requirements. Your 19!! Your whole life is ahead of you. Don't screw up anymore though. This is one record you don't want to build. People make mistakes. Companies realize that. Emphasize STRENGTHS and ACCOMPLISHMENTS, not your criminal history.

I'm a college student myself, and in all of my research into application procedures into various state and private colleges and having attended two colleges, I'm very familiar with admission procedures and requirements over the last 3 years. You can major in whatever you want. Go to the US Occupational Outlook Handbook http://http://www.bls.gov/oco/to get very detailed career information on whatever you are interested in as a career field. You can always change majors in college.

Here is a link to an application at the University of Iowa, as a sample of what it takes to apply to a standard state university. Not only do they not ASK for your criminal history, your criminal history in your case will NOT prevent you from federal funding! http://www.uiowa.edu/admissions/applications/undergrad/UGApp08.pdf

1) Okay, so unless you go to a community college first, you will need to take the SAT or ACT test. They usually give these in high school, but sometimes they don't. If you are afraid of doing poorly on this test, you can either go to an accredited community college that will have transferable credits to a 4 year university, or take a study class on the SAT/ACT, or even study on your own with a study guide and practice tests. Did you graduate in the top half (top50% of your total graduating class) of your class? Because it is easier to get in if you do. If you didn't, don't worry.

2)There are exceptions to every rule.
    Visit the websites of all the public universities in your state first, because in-state tuition at a public state university is way cheaper. Look up the majors on the website, and check out the admission criteria.

3) FIRST file for a FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You don't need to have applied to a college yet to apply. This is how you get your money to pay for college and living expenses.
    A FAFSA http://http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/index.htm is the first step to getting money for college, which you will need because college is expensive. You want as much as possible in grants (free money for college that you don't repay) and subsidized federal loans (interest free loans from the government). There are also unsubsidized federal loans which accrue interest. You have to begin paying back these loans 6 months after graduation (unless you are a special listed exception), so the key is to major in something employable that will make a good return that you will enjoy. For instance, I LOVE art, but to make a living at art is almost impossible, unless you major in graphic design. I know a guy with a college degree in scultping that he can't do anything with. He owes $80,000 dollars now that he can't really pay back.

Bottom line- a little internet research goes a long way. Feel free to ask me any question about college you want. Visit university websites in your state. Apply for the FAFSA.:cool: Anyone who says you can't go to college with a felony record doesn't know what they are talking about.
    vietboy714 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 11, 2007, 10:09 AM
    It's still hard, even with a college degree. I was convicted of a drug felony when I was 18. It was an eye opener. I graduated from college with a bachelors in finance, but even with a high GPA and awards, companies would not hire me because of one mistake. I had to go back to school to change my major. Now I'm in optometry school and recently found out that after I graduate, the state might turn down my license application due to a felony conviction. This is truly frustrating when it comes to finding something you want to do.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Sep 11, 2007, 10:50 AM
    You probably don't want to hear it but have you tried the army? They will pay you better pay for school and convince future employers that you have gone straight.

Sep 11, 2007, 04:10 PM
    I tried marines before I went back to school and even they said no. I guess a federal felony really sticks. I thought an education would be my only opportunity at a fresh start, but even that road has bumps. I'm just going to finish and see what happens. Its not like I have any other option.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 11, 2007, 07:02 PM
    You can take anything in college and yes you can get finicial aid, don't think anyone said you could not.

But some jobs are farily well out of the question at least short term,

You are not going to work in a bank or most finicial companies. You are not in most states be able to sell insurance or real estate. You may have troulbe finding a teaching position in any good school.
    You will have trouble being a nurse or a doctor and many medical fields.
    You could not even be a delivery person for a medical supply compnay that accepts medicare funds.

You may look into engineering, or management but in any field, you will have one mark against you before they even open your resume. It is going to be harder.
    acw Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 10:24 AM
    My friend... do something that you like. Pick something that has little to do with government regulation. The more regulation it involves... the more government red tape you will have to deal with.

The trades are good... and you make $$$. Check it out! Most people who work the trades, make more money than college grads... so why waste time. Get your basic educaiton (math,english,communications, etc)... You may want to get an AA degree... or AS degree and then go from there.

Don't listen to naysayers... go forward and sin no more!
    nazukeoya Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2007, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flcn_69
    i just got a grand larceny class c i never stole from my company or anything like that or even customers but it did happen. right now i am sorting trash 12 hours a day at a plant. i can't do that forever what college degrees are profitable with a felony record? oh i am 19 now
    How I Got A Job As A Felon:

I recently was sentenced in August/2007 for software piracy, putting a felony on my record. I graduated in 2004 with a degree in Graphic Design.

2 months after I was sentenced, I was offered a job doing graphic design work for a prominent dentist office in my area. I told them of the felony and explained what happened and they were OK with it in the end. The #1 reason I got the job was because of God. I give Him all the glory. But even with God's help, I had to put the effort into getting the job. This was my strategy:

First impressions. I knew that there is a prejudice against felons. So I knew that the only way past this prejudice was to have the employer meet me as a person, and get them to like me. I acted nice and curteous to them. I knew that if their first impression of me was of a nice and talented guy, then when I told them of my felony, instead of viewing my felony through their prejudice, they would view my felony through my good first impression.

The problem is that on normal job apps you have to put down the felony. So what I did was apply to places where I just had to email them a resume, no application. So I got a call, interviewed, they offered me the position, I gave them a yes 2 days later and told them of the felony then, a week later they called to say that everything checked out well.

Manipulation is the key. Go for jobs where you don't have to send in a normal application. That way you can choose the right time to tell them of the felony. :)
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 4, 2008, 05:35 AM
    LMAO.. I know this girl that will hire you whether you have a criminal record or not.. It's a pretty good paying job too.. it only require you in the house lol only down fall hunny is that she lives in Canada.. lol Belleville to be exact.. get out of the country have some fun.. when u meet her just don't think of her as jail bait.. lol she is 18;)

Aug 4, 2008, 10:42 PM
    Canadians don't accept convicits
    RWVNRAL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 12:20 AM
    Just face it dude... in this unforgiving, post-Christian culture of ours, you're screwed!
    CanIDoIt Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Nov 21, 2009, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vietboy714 View Post
    Canadians don't accept convicits
    What do you mean? As is, your passport & entry into Canada will get rejected at the border or something? I realize this is an old post but I hope you answer.:confused:
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 05:17 AM

There are several recent threads where this was asked and answered. If you use the AMHD search feature you will find them, including the exact wording provided by the Canadian Government.

Basically, felons are not allowed to enter Canada.

Nov 21, 2009, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the clarification. Roger that.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 06:09 AM

I am starting work a little later today so I had time to look the info up:

"Who Can't Enter Canada.
    To begin, in Canada a DUI is a felony and therefore an excludable offense under the Immigration Act. A DUI is an indictable offense in Canada that may be punished by imprisonment for up to a 5 year term.

Anyone with a conviction in the United States that is treated as a felony or indictable offense in Canada is excludable from Canada, but even if the offense is not a felony or indictable offense in Canada, Customs and Immigration Officers have ultimate authority to permit and deny entry to Canada.

Almost all convictions (including DUI, DWI, reckless driving, negligent driving, misdemeanor drug possession, all felonies, domestic violence (assault IV), shoplifting, theft, etc) can make a person inadmissible to Canada, regardless of when they occurred. For this reason, it is not recommended that persons with past convictions attempt to enter Canada without first obtaining necessary documents. It is always the final decision of officers at ports of entry to decide whether a person should be allowed into Canada."

Traveling to Canada

Nov 21, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I am starting work a little later today so I had time to look the info up:

"Who Can’t Enter Canada.
    To begin, in Canada a DUI is a felony and therefore an excludable offense under the Immigration Act. A DUI is an indictable offense in Canada that may be punished by imprisonment for up to a 5 year term.

Anyone with a conviction in the United States that is treated as a felony or indictable offense in Canada is excludable from Canada, but even if the offense is not a felony or indictable offense in Canada, Customs and Immigration Officers have ultimate authority to permit and deny entry to Canada.

Almost all convictions (including DUI, DWI, reckless driving, negligent driving, misdemeanor drug possession, all felonies, domestic violence (assault IV), shoplifting, theft, etc) can make a person inadmissible to Canada, regardless of when they occurred. For this reason, it is not recommended that persons with past convictions attempt to enter Canada without first obtaining necessary documents. It is always the final decision of officers at ports of entry to decide whether a person should be allowed into Canada."

Traveling to Canada
    I did what you suggested & searched. I found all that info as well. The 1800 page was very concise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A felon who wants to travel [ 18 Answers ]

I am a felon. I did HARD time in the Illinois penal system for being a middle man in a drug deal! I was told I had to pay my debt to society, this debt cost me 7 years of my life! I'm thinking I'm all paid up. But this my friends is the debt that is never paid! I am older and wiser now but still...

Can a felon go to the uk [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I were planing to go to london for my b day next year I was wondering if conficted felons can go to the uk

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Felon who needs work [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way I can get CDL traing at a truck driving school? In MI

Felon wants to travel [ 2 Answers ]

I want to travel to Panama from the U.S. would I be able to apply for a passport with a felony and an fbi number

View more questions Search