Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimjaster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2005, 10:44 AM
    Water won't stop running
    Changed the stems and the cold water works fine but I can not get the hot water to stop running. I have the handle turned off completely and it runs like I have it wide open. Please help us as soon as possible
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2005, 12:40 PM
    First, try turning it on full. If that stops it, you have the wrong stem . Hot and cold work backwards and require different stems.

If not, remove the hot stem. And look for crud on the seat. If it is a cartridge style, try blowing through it with it closed. If you can, it isn't working right. You may have gotten crud in it. See if you can take it apart and clean it.
    kimjaster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2005, 12:32 PM
    Water won't stop running
    It will not turn off at all - if I turn it either way.
    What is a seat?

It appears that the stem threads may be too short??
    Or was something out in wrong or something omitted?

Any other ideas?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2005, 12:55 PM
    The seat is simply the area around the hole the water comes up. The bottom of the cartridge or washer must reach down to it. One would expect that if you bought a hot and cold pair, and the cold worked, the hot would too. If you still have the old one, compare it to the new one. If they are not the same length, take both the where you bought the new one, and show them the difference.

Good observation that it seems to be too short.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE water dispenser won't stop! [ 5 Answers ]

When I went to get some water from my GE water dispenser, the water would not stop coming out. I had to finally pull out the refrigerator and turn off the shut-off valve. Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how can I fix the problem?:eek:

Knock & Flow Stop at Hot Water only to Kit. Sink & D/W [ 3 Answers ]

At our kitchen sink we have a problem with the hot water flow. When the hot water is turned on full (a mixing faucet) either immediately or shortly after the water comes to a full stop simultaneously there is a knock. The water does not begin flowing until you turn off the water altogether. ...

Heat won't stop running [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house, well new to me. It has a heat pump system. I'm not familiar with them at all and need some help. I took out my old mechanical thermostat and replaced it with a programmable digital thermostat. Now my problem is that the heat won't quit running. I don't know if I have...

Heater won't stop running [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Frifidaire central heating & air conditioning system 2 years old. Today we set thermostat to cool and the heater continues to run and will not shut off by thermostat control. Pulled the thermostat and heat continues to run. Currently off as I switched off the breaker at the outside unit....

Tractor won't STOP running... [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased my tractor 4 months ago. Today as I was mowing my yard, when I wanted to stop, the brake would not engage and the tractor kept moving. When I tried to re-start the tractor, although the tractor was in park, the tractor began to move again. Any suggestion as to the cause or diagnosis to...

View more questions Search