Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrainwat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Treated lumber
    How soon can I paint treated lumber? And could I used screws or nails on treated lumber?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 09:06 AM
    I don't know how you would put 'treated' lumber together for anything you are building without using screws and nails. You don't have to wait to paint treated lumber.
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Jul 26, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Paint when dry, Pilot holes if predrilled will prevent your lumber from splitting when nailed or screwed just drill a hole a little smaller then the shank size of your screw or nail before placing nail or screw to prevent unsightly splits and cracks
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 30, 2007, 04:30 AM
    Don't nail it, the treated wood shinks so much after it drys you nails may not hold like they should, we use 3 screws on the handrails and joists and 2 1/2 on the decking boards, we use nails or nail gun to just get the framing started and that's it, as for paint as long as its not really green and wet , id say a month wait time would be fine, you'll hear of many more months than that but if it looks dry prime it and paint it,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making a girder from 2X12 lumber [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to build a 24 X 26, gable entry, 2 car (double door) garage with a 12/12 roof pitch so I can use the loft area for a studio. My idea was to run a 26 foot girder down the center to support the ceiling joists. My question is, if I make a girder by sandwiching 2 X 12 lumber, "what is the...

Treated lumber [ 2 Answers ]

How soon can I paint stained lumber? And could I used screws or nails on treated lumber?

Name of lumber sizes [ 4 Answers ]

What would a piece of lumber the following sizes normally be referred to in the industry? a. 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 92.5" fir b. 1" x 5-1/2" cedar

Treated Unfairly [ 3 Answers ]

I saw an ad for a roommate and I got the room. After six months, the roommate felt she can afford the rent on her own and wrote me a letter to move out in 30 days. I have never been late with the rent and now it is so hard to get a room and start moving out. She never told me I was there for just...

Painting Treated Lumber [ 2 Answers ]

How long should you wait before you paint or stain treated lumber??

View more questions Search