Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 02:07 AM
    Windows not loading - black screen
    My desktop has (or had!) Windows ME.

Halfway through uninstalling a program there was a power cut, so presumably the uninstall was half-aborted. When I re-booted the PC said that the settings were being reconfigured, Windows was loading - then there was another power cut!

So now when I re-boot there is a quick flash on the monitor of "Windows ME" and then a black screen with the cursor flashing in the top LH corner.

Is there anything I can do to restore the system?
    nok7532 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 02:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS
    My desktop has (or had!) Windows ME.

Halfway through uninstalling a program there was a power cut, so presumably the uninstall was half-aborted. When I re-booted the PC said that the settings were being reconfigured, Windows was loading - then there was another power cut!

So now when I re-boot there is a quick flash on the monitor of "Windows ME" and then a black screen with the cursor flashing in the top LH corner.

Is there anything I can do to restore the system?
    You will need to rebuild Windows ME form CD, reboot PC with Windows ME disc in DVD drive, Unfortunately you may lose any data on drive.
    So before doing this try rebooting windows in Safe mode to see if you retrieve data first
    jocafer13 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2007, 03:21 AM
    There are some answers that I would like to say:(listed by priority)
    1.) Usually when power cuts happen the second, third(or fourth or more) time the electricity(or electric charge, by the time while your computer is running) left running inside your System Unit could have damaged sensitive parts like the RAM or the Hard Disk Drive(rarely).
    2.) Or, In somewhat way those power cuts could have corrupted important files in your computer(not games or whatsoever). It could either be the program you're trying to uninstall that was corrupted or another program that was running.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jul 26, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Jocafer13 is right. Losing power when the hard drive is reading or writing can kill the drive. I've done it a few times, it crashes the read/write head.

Also when you had the sudden power outage, it can easily damage the power supply, or motherboard.

So you need to check these conditions first.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Do you have the ME CD or Recovery CDs?
    JohnS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 03:32 AM
    Thanks guys for advice and suggestions.

The local PC repairman reckons Windows ME is b***ered but the hard drive is OK. He can restore Windows ME and the docs/pics etc but we will lose the installed programs. Sounds OK, but I do wonder if I would be better upgrading to Windows XP at the same time, or even going straight to a new PC as the present one is 7 or 8 years old and showing its age!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 27, 2007, 06:52 AM
    I would not be inclined to sink money into a 7-8 year old PC. And I defintiely wouldn't put Win ME on any machine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor turns off after windows xp loading screen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I've just been experiancing a problem with my monitor when I load up my computer it starts fine till I go2 the loading screen(windows Xp with bar underneath) then it just turns off and I've looked at a topic on here and I've done the f8 thing and tried 2 restart my monitor but still it doesn't...

Black screen after windows splash screen windows xp [ 2 Answers ]

Black screen after windows splash screen windows xp

Loading Programs into Windows ME [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to load the netgear program for usb wireless network card "wg111v2" and had the following happen: 1. It froze the computer and had to reboot 2. The program would not run when double clicked. Any help will be very much appreciated. Rajen

Windows XP won't finish loading [ 3 Answers ]

I'm running Windows XP media center. When I start the computer up everything looks great but either nothing happens when I click on the start menu or icons or I get the hourglass that dosen't go away. Control, alternate, delete will not work either so I can't see what processes are running and...

Loading windows 98se [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am tying to load windows 98se after I fdisk and format the PC. The cd loads and starts installing 98se but it gets to a certain point and the PC goes to a blue screen and stops installing. I thought it was the hard drive so I put a new one in and it did the same thing

View more questions Search