Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beaches5182 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2005, 12:26 AM
    Workman's compensation settlement
    I will be receiving a workmans comp. settlement shortly and need to know if I file bankruprcy will they keep or want to know why I don't have it anymore
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2012, 07:41 AM
    The answer to this question is complicated, and is first determined by the state you are living in. As an example, you need to make sure both your Employer's Comp and Bankruptcy Attorneys are communicating during this time.

It is possible to get some of the lump sum settlement protected from Bankruptcy, but the only way to know for sure is to talk to both attorneys.

Reference

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unemployment compensation and Top Hat nonqualified deferred compensation payments [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently receiving unemployment compensation from the State, my previous employer will begin sending my annual Top Hat nonqualified deferred compensation checks in a few months. They cannot delay this, I've asked. The annual Top Hat check will be equivalent to about 1 years worth of...

Workman's Compensation [ 1 Answers ]

My husband had settled his workman's compensation case for future medication. I am just wondering if this is taxable money. WC case was from California while he was working when we lived there. We have since moved to Iowa and had been here for 5 years. I have not files 2008 taxes yet. I need to...

Workman's compensation advances in North Carolina [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any company that offers advances on pending workman's compensation claims in North carolina? I am at the point of bankruptcy and just filled out the interrogatories questions and returned them to my lawyer.

Workman's comp settlement offer [ 5 Answers ]

I have opted out to hire an attorney for my left shoulder injury that I sustained while at work. The workman's comp has been paying the bills and my TTD. I wanted to know if anyone knows what "FAIR" compensation for my injury is. The MRI came back showing supraspinatus tendinitis and bursitis,...

Workman's compensation law [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, I suffered the loss of a part of a finger at work. I am not too familiar with Oregon law's dealing with work. comp. but feel that My job is in jeopardy. My question is this... Can an employer lay me off or fire me due to loss of a digit while I was on the clock? I foresee no...

View more questions Search