Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

Jul 25, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Why have I gained?
    Okay, this makes ABSOLUTELY NO sense!! So I'm a size 2 and I'm 5 foot 6. I went on the scale and saw I weighed 140 and almost puked, so I decided it's time to work out. I usually don't gain weight but I hadn't exercised in like 3 months, so I started running 1.5 miles a day, and got sick of that, so I do a half hour kickboxing and boot camp workout everyday and then yoga for another half hour. I feel better that I'm working out, and was super excited to get back on the scale to see I GAINED 5 POUNDS!! And, what's worse? The shorts I wanted to fit better into Don't FIT AT ALL!! Why the heck did I start working out if this was going to happen? I realize musclle weighs more than fat, I already have a lot of muscle, but muscle takes up less room than fat, why did I physically get bigger? This is terribly discouraging and I'm very unhappy about this. Does anyone know why this is happening??
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 08:31 PM
    More than likely you have had a lot of muscle build up under your existing fat.
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Jul 25, 2007, 08:37 PM
    You crαzy crαzy girl -- if you sαy your working out of course your going to gαin muscle, whαt you do is meαsure your inches: wαist, thighs, αrms... ect. Continue your work-out routine αnd on top of thαt eαt heαlthy..

Sounds to me like you yo-yo diet αnd you wαnt "α quick fix" the only thing I cαn tell you thαt would work becαuse I did myself is this-- but you gottα stick to it-- I followed the full detox plαn : The Lemon Detox Diet

*keep in mind when you gαin muscle pαrticulαrly in your legs your shorts won't fit becαuse well your musculαr legs.. αlso αccoriding to your BMI (body mαss index) you αre αt normαl wieght (18.5-24.9)<-- your αt 22.6 -- you cαn see it yourself αt :Calculate your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

Well goodluck to yα girlie<3
    You're the only one who depicts whαt beαutiful truly is

Jul 26, 2007, 09:01 AM
    I don't yo yo diet. I started exercising to be healthy and to lose some extra pounds but I'll continue with it for a long time. I enjoy exercising (just not running) It makes no sense that my thighs got bigger, because muscle is smaller than fat, and I haven't worked them hard enough to acutally be body building my thighs. I'm doing aerobics to get rid of fat, and obvsiouly some muscle goes along with that, but not that much I wouldn't think. What rankrank said, about muscle building under the fat, does that mean it would push out the fat until the fat was burned off? I've never heard of that before, but it makes sense. Will I eventually lose some weight, or will this working out keep making me bigger? I also don't like my bmi to be so close to the middle. I am a perfectionist, and I am not a fan of the middle/average. I know, it's something I've had a problem with since I was like 10. In school I couldn't stand to get an A- because that's not perfect. I'd like my bmi to be closer to like 19-20. Still healthy, but not just average. Everyone says I'm too skinny, and my wrists and neck are really skin and bones, but my thighs jiggle when I walk! They're almost close to touching when I walk too! I know I'm insane, but I just want to know that working out will actually do something. Thanks!
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Everyone's thighs jiggle a bit, even if they are pure muscle. I'm 5'0 and weigh 87lbs and my thighs jiggle! Yes if you are building muscle faster than you are losing fat then the muscle will build under the fat which will make those places a little bit bigger but not noticeable to the naked eye. You will eventually lose some of the fat, yes. Don't worry about being perfect, you never will be, no one is.

Jul 26, 2007, 11:22 AM
    I know, it just stinks that I've been working out to fit into some clothes that I wanted to, but working out has only made me bigger and I fit less into the clothes. It's really stinky. Is this what always happens when you just start working out?
    -

Jul 26, 2007, 06:11 PM
    αre you sure you don't hαve α psychologicαl problem?. sounds like you αre obsessed with this wieght αnd fαt.. You keep mentioning thαt people think your skinny yet you sαy your fαt.. Either psychologicαl problem or your trying to flαtter yourself hunnie..

Jul 27, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Um, no. I don't have a psychological problem. Not at all. I'm totally NOT fat. I never said I was fat. I'm a size 2 for peet's sake! That's not fat. It's just obviously upsetting that after working out, I got bigger. It would upset anyone, size 2 or 22. The whole point of this question was to see if anyone else has had experience with getting bigger after working out, or if anyone knows why this is happening. I am not fat, I just want to fit into some clothes, and sure, I have some rolls when I twist or bend and stuff, and I wanted to get rid of those. This isn't a high school eating disorder, I've done all that jazz. I'm an adult now, and I am just frustrated that aerobics is doing nothing for me but making me bigger.
    -

Jul 27, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Your right you didn't sαy you were fαt but let me tell you where I'm coming from shoegαl:

Quote Originally Posted by shoegal
    ...i'm a size 2 and I'm 5 foot 6. I went on the scale and saw I weighed 140 and almost puked
    i'm sorry but someone who is αt thier normαl BMI should not reαct thαt wαy, especiαlly thαt you "αlmost puked" brought up α red flαg

...i already have a lot of muscle..why did I physically get bigger this is terribly discouraging and i'm very unhappy about this. does anyone know why this is happening????
    you αlreαdy hαve αlot of muscle plus αll thαt excercising your doing will bulk you up, whαt you need to do is do excercises thαt slenderize your muscles..like yogα
    ..once αgαin you αre αt your normαl BMI if you were overweight then i would see why it is soooo αwful but YOUR A SIZE TWO!

I also don't like my bmi to be so close to the middle. I am a perfectionist, and I am not a fan of the middle/average. I know, it's something I've had a problem with since I was like 10. In school I couldn't stand to get an A- because that's not perfect..
    YOUR BODY WILL NEVER BE PERFECT! no one's will be-- αnother little red flαg here

Everyone says I'm too skinny, and my wrists and neck are really skin and bones
    this is the pαrt where i think your flαttering yourself-- i don't see how this is relevαnt

...i just want to know that working out will actually do something
    of course it will-- but in α course of time not tommorrow or next week

I'm a size 2 for peet's sake! that's not fat....i just want to fit into some clothes, and sure, I have some rolls when I twist or bend and stuff, and I wanted to get rid of those
    once αgαin sounds like your flαttering yourself-- let me just tell everyone i'm α size 4 now.. plus everyone hαs little rolls when they bend--look αt αny αthlete they hαve thαt

This isn't a high school eating disorder. I'm an adult now
    even αdults get eαting disorders

I am just frustrated that aerobics is doing nothing for me but making me bigger.
    like i sαid try different excercises thαt give you more slender muscles

***these αre from your own words-- i'm just bringing my point out***

Jul 27, 2007, 07:09 PM
    OK. I did not write on here to be attacked by you. I don't know exactly what point you're trying to make! That I'm a crazy woman who is trying to "flatter myself?" You sit there and quote my words telling me all the things that make me sound so awful and sick. You're somehow trying to convince me that I have an eating disorder by quoting my words and giving a little summary of it, and how it shows that I am somehow trying to get everyone to know how wonderfully skinny I am. I'm not trying to flatter myself. Really. I don't even know these people. I truly understand that you think you see "red flags" everywhere, and you just want to help. My problem was that I started working out. I wanted to lose weight. I didn't, I gained weight and inches around my thighs and hips. And this has turned into you desperately trying to convince me every chance you get that I have an eating disorder. Thank you for your concern, but after all this, no one has attempted to answer my question yet.
    -

Jul 27, 2007, 07:16 PM
    I'm sorry you feel thαt wαy;
    -i never sαid you hαd αn eαting disorder but you do sound like you hαve some issues becαuse you αre α size two αnd your complαining
    -mαybe you should wαtch whαt your eαting.. if your eαting lets sαy pizzα αnd junk food αll the time it's not reαlly gonnα help you loose wieght
    - t r y
    o t h e r
    e x c e r c I s e s

- if worst comes to worst go see your physiciαn--- keep in mind if you just stαrted this work out routine results won't show until α few months

Jul 27, 2007, 07:59 PM
    I'm a nutritionist. I don't eat pizza haha. I have a very healthy diet. I eat grains, fruits, veggies, yogurt (fat free) and all that good stuff. Maybe I'll run again, even though I hate it.

Jul 27, 2007, 08:01 PM
    And I know you were just trying to help. I do. So thank you for that. I'm sure you can understand that no one likes to be attacked like that and accused of something totally far fetched. But I do understand the kindness in what you were trying to do. It just takes the maturity to put yourself in someone else's shoes and understand why they say or do something, and I do understand why you said what you said.
    Canada_Sweety Posts: 597, Reputation: 49
    -

Jul 27, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Running will help you with your weight and your body... running helps everyone:D Also like 10-12 cups of water a day.:)
    Mom23kids Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 07:34 PM
    :confused:

I understand how you feel. I am 5"6', 125-130 lbs. and I used to wear size 2 jeans, now I am having trouble with my size 4's...in the hips, thighs and rear. I used to average 119-121 which was good for me, not skin and bones, but firm. I have a petite frame for someone my height. I found this board doing a search trying to find out why this is happening to me too. I have been a dancer my whole life. I stopped dancing a year ago. I have been weight training since 2001 and for the past 5+ months, I have been kickboxing. I work out 5 -6 days a week. I am finding that I am getting flabby and larger in the hips, thighs and rear, I am muscular everywhere else....some call it "skinny fat"... where skinny people are soft. I am getting stretch marks. At my last physical, my thyroid and bloodwork came back right where it should be. I have great abs for a 37 year old Mom of 3. I work VERY hard for it. I watch what I eat, even though years ago, I didn't have to. It's really bothering me that I can't wear a lot of my clothes now. I know to some people reading this may think, what does she have to complain about? Well, gaining weight is gaining weight, no matter what. It's very upsetting when someone like me looks for support or advice and people don't want to help. It doesn't seem fair and it's not very nice. Life is short, let's try to help and respect one another and understand that we are all in this together. :)
    SpawnOfAzazel Posts: 106, Reputation: 18

Jul 31, 2007, 07:53 PM
    If you have increased your exercise by that much, it could simply be some water weight, which is temporary. It is completely normal for weight to fluctuate by 5 pounds or so due to water weight, sometimes people get a little bloated by it as well. Drink lots of water to flush the toxins out of your system and you'll lose it in no time.

Jul 31, 2007, 07:58 PM
    I have to be honest, I haven't been drinking a lot of water lately. It's been hot here also, so I'm sure that's not helping. I will start tomorrow! Thank you! ;)

I was also just reading on iVillage that someone who is a 'spoon' shape should avoid squats and lunges with weights and for the past 5 years, that's what I've been doing! I think I should try yoga and like a previous poster said, stick with it for a few months and see if there are any changes.

Jul 31, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Shoegal:
    Follow this link and read about 'spoon shape'. Makes a lot of sense. I hope this helps both of us! Also, the water in take... as Spawn said... Good luck!

Jul 31, 2007, 08:06 PM
    The Spoon Profile

Aug 1, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Mom23kids:
    I am SOOO glad I found someone with my problem! I was beginning to feel like I was insane for not being happy with my weight, but after being around 115 pounds my whole life, and gain weight for no reason, it's really upsetting! I totally agree with your first post, we are all in this together and shouldn't judge people because of their personal thoughts. I'm going to go read that spoon profile! Good Luck! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Got dumped.gained weight! [ 1 Answers ]

Well my boyfirend and I broke up... I used food for comfort especially chocolate and maccas... I have such a busy schedule that while eating all this food I didn't find time to work it off... so now I've put on 5kg... I just don't have time to work it off now I'm scared that I will continue to...

I have lost weight but gained half of it back [ 5 Answers ]

I lost weight 70 pounds but it was because I was really stressed out at the time and really I don't know how it came off, but I was happy that it did. I tried to keep the weight off by eating better and getting a little more exercises than I normally would but Ive gained almost half of it back and...

View more questions Search