Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brewerpt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2005, 11:41 AM
    401k Cash Out
    The company is closing, I'm over 55 and will be able to avoid the 10% penalty when the 401k plan ends. I am fully vested. Understand the state and federal tax implications. Not unemployed and not sure how long that will last. If I roll over to IRA, I can't get access to the money until at least 59.5, but, I may need it soon. What would your advice be regarding taking a sufficient mount of cash out, incurring the approximately 27% tax bite, and paying off credit cards, department store cards, other loans etc that carry approximately 10% interest rates, in order to reduce monthly expenses while job searching? What about existing car loans at 3% vs investing the money in a well balanced mutual fund earning higher than 3% and paying those low interest liabilities out of the working mutual fund?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 07:17 PM
    I believe you can roll over the entire amount wthout penalty if you put it into something like a roth or some other fund within 60 days.You didn't say if your're retired or not,but with a fully vested pension I certainly would.Your pension would carry you till you are employed again The decision to work or not work wouldn't be so urgent.Getting rid of high interest debt can open a whole new world as this is the key to retirement .I retired at age 48 by paying down all credit cards and high interest loans and just live within my means on my monthly pension check.Though I'm looking for a good job I'm in no particular hurry and I am enjoying myself immencly.Go to your local bank and get the details about your rollover options and then see about paying down your debt.good luck! :cool:
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 07:21 PM
    Retired or not?
    If you are fully vested why not take your pension,if your company is closing? :cool:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 08:57 PM
    Rollover
    If you really don't need the money, I would roll it over. There are Roth IRA's that do allow you to withdraw money for all sorts of emergancy reasons, plus allow low interst loans on the money if needed also.

I have two plans and both allow me to withdraw money ( now I pay the penalty if I do)

Remember IRA are all sorts, banks, insurance companies and other groups sell them, they are products and not all of them are the same.
    I will say that it is not the highest paying one, but Woodsman has a very secure one that I like for part of my funds. I have others in higher risk investments
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 08:59 PM
    Addition
    I did forget, this is just opinion, a good investment planner would be the best bet to keep all the ideas. I would actually discuss this with three different ones, this allows you to see the different products and ideas.

Make sure whoever you talk to is licenced and/or bonded in their field.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2005, 04:58 AM
    HI,
    I went through the same thing, and had to retire at 63, due to health issues in my family.
    Is the 401K plan in your name? In other words, do you HAVE to withdraw or roll it over when the company closes?
    My own plan was mine, and when our company sold out, we could leave the money in the plan. I have withdrawn some, but still leave some in there.
    IF you have to either withdraw the money, or roll it over, then that's another story, and other answers here are better than mine.
    IF you can leave it where it is, then withdraw only what you need to "get back on your feet", and leave some until later. If you have the option to put the rest of it into something different than a "fixed" %, then choose a "Balanced Plan", equally of stocks, bonds, etc. It pays a little more interest.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Penalty for 401K cash-out [ 4 Answers ]

I recently cashed out a 401K. The holding company withdrew 20% for federal taxes, as well as an additional penalty. Will I be required to pay any additional taxes or penalties on this in with 2006 taxes (i.e. state income tax)? Are there any forms or paperwork I should be aware of? Thanks in...

401K cash out [ 2 Answers ]

Could you tell me when and how much taxes I would pay if I cashed out my 401K which is $28000.00. Earnings for the year is $52000.00. Would that $28k be added to my income?

401K cash out, help [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone like a challenge? Lol As you can tell by the title a lot of changes in ’06…I reside in NH but work in MA and collected unemployment in Mass... 1. Laid off 1/4/06…Got residual hourly rate of $1500 GROSS, commission of $500 GROSS and annual bonus of $1000 GROSS… 2. Cashed out...

401k company won't let me cash out. [ 4 Answers ]

I left a company a year ago. Tried to cash out 401k, and was told by law I had to waite one year. I was able to claim some of the money on hardship. Now one year later, and after losing some of the money to stocks, I'm being told I have to waite another 6 months. This is the time of the...

HELP 401k cash out [ 6 Answers ]

12/5/05 I left my employer and had a small 401k. I requested to cash out as it was small amount. 1/06 checked Manual life and account was still listed as active and open. I called Manul life to discuss closing account. I was told need special paper work from previous employer. So called again and...

View more questions Search