Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Upgrading the Philosophy Board
    Are there any people who would be interested in upgrading the Philosophy Board to include people who like to discuss Philosophy in an academic sense, or formally and intellectually, as well as an informal discussion of personal Philosophy??

Broaden the scope, as it were.

Comments desired from new people and regular Board Members. :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2007, 10:35 AM
    How do you mean upgraded?
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 02:47 PM
    I was trying to be polite by using the word upgrade. Perhaps this Board isn't as geared to teenagers and their youthful concerns as it first appears.

Let me add, attract educated adults with life experience under their belts.

Am I clear?

What do you think about upgrading?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 25, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Since this is a Q&A site rather than a discussion site, In my opinion the boards are quite well put together as they are.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2007, 02:52 PM
    I don't think there's anything that wouldn't attract them. I don't see why some young people wouldn't give good input. I don't see why some adults wouldn't give bad input.

There's nothing stopping you from starting a serious debate on the philosophy board as it is. There's also no way to stop the "undesirables" from posting.

I don't think we should be limiting certain members from joining in with discussions unless they are being malicious. In which case we are very good at stopping them.

I'm still not entirely sure what you're proposing, a second board called "adult philosophy"?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2007, 02:55 PM
    What is the flaw in the current system? Shed some light on your proposal. For myself, I think the board works well enough. How would you keep certain people out and only let certain people in? Doesn't that become elitist? Discriminatory?
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 10:00 AM
    I wanted to see if it is OK to actively attract more participants for the Philosophy Board which appeared to me to be in the doldrums.

A contrast of older, those educated in Philosophy kind of people.

Hey, maybe it was a bad idea... change... people get uptight sometimes.

Of course, all can participate! I never said anything to the contrary.

Have a great day,
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 10:29 AM
    I don't see a reason why that would not be okay... do you?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    A contrast of older, those educated in Philosophy kind of people.
    I think you could add the number of people that fit that criteria and it would fall into the single digits.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Of course, but now I'm not interested any more.
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Aug 21, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Philosophy includes the acquiring of life experiences, those who are not experts, the young ones as you put it, will profit from the discussions, so why exclude them?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Philosophy Debate [ 10 Answers ]

Hey all, I am currently taking a philosophy course and we have been assigned a debate assignment that is in regards to the morality of stem cell research. My group was given the task of being opposed to stem cell research. If anyone can give me any idea why people may be opposed to stem cell...

Philosophy [ 10 Answers ]

Is philosophy a concept or a study?

Upgrading the power supply on an OEM board [ 1 Answers ]

Hello fellow compatriots. I bought a "Lenovo/IBM Series 3000 J115 (7387-26U)" from office depot. It's a pretty cool system with 250GB H/D, 1 GB Ram in 2x512 modules, 16x DVD R/W etc. The motherboard is a MSI-7283, and the pwer supply is 220W. The on-board video is Geforce 6100, and I wanted...

My philosophy [ 9 Answers ]

IF MY BODY WERE A CAR If my body were a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model. I've got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish and my paint job is Getting a little dull, but that's not the worst of it. My headlights are out of focus and it's...

View more questions Search