Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amaryllis Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 05:48 AM
    What do you say in a sympathy card.
    A close cousin of mine recently had to have an abortion because there were complications with her pregnancy. I'm planning to send her a "With Sympathy" card that already has the words "Deepest sympathy at your time of loss" written inside of it. Please tell me what else I could write inside of it, as well as if this type of card is a tactical mistake. Would I be better off with a blank card? Thanks.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Why not send a "Thinking of You" card instead of sympathy?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Amaryllis, I am sorry I didn't see this sooner. I agree with Flossie. I think the Sympathy card isn't the right card to use here.

Find a beautiful "Thinking of You" card that is blank. Since you mentioned that you and she are close, inside the card, consider writing the following:

I know there is nothing that I can say or do that will heal your pain. But, I though it was important to let you know that I am thinking of you and that I love you very much. Let my words here be a hug and kiss to you at the moment until we see each other.

If you live close enough to her, add the following: Expect a call from me in a few days and, at that time, I want you to tell me when you are available for us to get together. We will do whatever you want to do--lunch, dinner, a movie, shopping, or just have a cup of coffee and talk. Then, follow up and make a date with her. She may try putting you off if she is depressed. Feel your way through the phone call and be as uplifting as possible. Make her want to spend time with you. If she wants to talk, then talk to her. If she doesn't want to talk about it, don't push it. Just plan on doing something you know she enjoys doing.

If she doesn't live close by, add this instead: I will call you in a few days. Then call her. Talk to her. Suggest that she come for a visit with you or you go out and visit her. Again, feel your way through the conversation. If she really doesn't want to get together, don't push her. Just tell her over the phone that you love her and that the invitation is always open and that you do want to see her. Call & check up on her from time to time.

Sign the card: I love you, (your name)

I hope this helps. It is hard to find the right words to write without knowing the people involved.:o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lying for sympathy, getting attention or just because? [ 19 Answers ]

I always make it seem like something is wrong when its not. Why do I do this, am I the only one? I'll even make up stories about my life or my past, things that don't make me look better but worse, or make my life worse. Why? I know I'm doing it but I still do it... in many different ways..? ...

How to start a calling card / phone card business? [ 10 Answers ]

I would like to start a calling card / phone card business with little capital. If anybody knows how to do this please advise me. Any advice welcome.

Sympathy letter etiquette? [ 3 Answers ]

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on what to say in a card/email to a friend who just lost his dad (were both in our 20's). I'm thinking like "were here if you want to talk or need anything" but anything else? I've never written anything like this before I would call but I have no idea where...

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? [ 20 Answers ]

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? We increase our Debts like any thing when we have Credit Card because we spend /buy the goods with free hand / shopping habits, in this case will it not be a better to keep a debit card instead of a credit card? :confused: What are your views on...

Compulsive lying for Sympathy and Attention [ 4 Answers ]

I am a 27 year old mother of 3 boys 2, 5 and 8... I have recently split up with my husband after accusations of molestation from my then 14 year old sister. I have been on and off again with my husband since the accustions. I feel guilty that I have stayed with my ex at times since the...

View more questions Search