Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    db923 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 01:51 AM
    SSI benefits and Child Support for Adult Child.
    Does anyone know if a parent can still be obligated to pay child support to a severely disabled adult child for the life of the child? (even if the child is receiving state benefits) we are in Cali...
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 25, 2007, 01:11 PM
    California Department of Child Support Services - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    WLBetts Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Comment on LearningAsIGo's post
    This question was not answered in the FAQs at this site
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Dec 4, 2008, 01:24 PM

Comments on this post
    WLBetts : This question was not answered in the FAQs at this site
    WL,
    This is on the link
    Local Offices
    DCSS Contact Information
    I suggest making some phone calls to obtain the correct information.

I do not live in CA, I do not pay child support. I did, however, try to suggest a site that may help. Take my free advice at face value.
    xxxtina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 03:52 PM
    We live in CA and yes your disabled child can receive an adult support order. When your child nears the age of emancipation (18) then contact your local child support office and ask about changing it to an adult child support order. They told us that it might not be as much as the original order because they do factor in the income they are eligible to receive such as SSI but at least they will get something. If you do have a disabled child make sure you apply for Medi-cal (under the DDS waiver) and IHSS. Both are extremely important to have and give you extra resources that you might not have had before. Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Father on SSI so no child support? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, My children's father is on SSI and does not pay his court ordered child support. I also know that he has been working under the table for some time now (and is earning more than me) and still will not pay his child support. He is 15 months behind on payments. I had a child support case...

How to get child support for children of a parent on ssi [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know what do I do if my two kids father draws ssi?the ? Is how do I get help for my kids? Do I need to apply for ssi for the both? He doesn't have to pay but should I have to do it on my own?

View more questions Search