Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cobblestonetripper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Light period followed by heavy flow of brown blood
    Hi, everyone --

I'm an Ask Me Help Desk novice looking for a few answers and a little reassurance.

I just experienced a relatively light period capped by a fairly heavy day-long flow of brown blood with a distinctive odor. I'm in my mid-30s, not pregnant, and I don't have any STDs. Should I be worried?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 06:35 PM
    It is not uncommon for a woman's period to get heavier towards the end.

Brown blood is just old blood. There is nothing to worry about with the color.

You said it has a distinctive odor. What kind of odor? Not like what a period generally smells like?

Jul 24, 2007, 07:11 PM
    First of all, thanks so much for responding to my question so quickly.

To answer your follow-up, the brown blood doesn't smell like menstrual blood. It's more pungent, a hint of ammonia maybe, but not super-unpleasant. Should I be worried now?
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:30 PM
    The ammonia odor in your perineal area is caused by oils in your sweat gland and vaginal secretions. The secretions are the same component as urine, and that's where the ammonia smell comes from.

There is nothing for you to worry about, it is just your natural secretions.

Jul 24, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Thank you so, so much for the prompt, helpful, and reassuring response. It's so unsettling when your body acts out of character, so I really appreciate you demystifying the experience for me.

Best wishes and good health,

cobblestonetripper
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 09:41 PM
    You're very welcome. I'm glad I could be of help.

Best wishes and good health to you too :)
    enguday Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 03:07 AM
    My pried late 2days after came light blood not flow before my pride2nd up still now brown this implantation blood ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it normal for your period blood to be brown on the first [ 60 Answers ]

I just got my periodtoday and the blood is brown and I don't even need to use a pad or tampon just a panty liner is this normal?:confused:

Heavy brown discharge prior to my period [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently taking the pill but on Friday 1st DEC i realised that i had forgot to take it at my usually time and took it later in the day. By that time i had discovered brown discharge on my underpants. I first thought i had my periods but they are not due until Wednesday 6th DEC. My last...

Blood clots during heavy bleeding period [ 52 Answers ]

Is it normal to have large blood clots during the heaviest Bleeding period

Post Period Brown Blood [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My period was supposed to end about 2 days ago, it will be a full 9 days today. There is a brownish blood still coming out, mostly when I go to the bathroom, although it seems to hang around all day. It's not a lot, but enough to make me worry. I had sex with my boyfriend during my period...

Extremely large blood clots and heavy period since first month of being on the pill! [ 2 Answers ]

Okay I've been on the pill for a month now.. I've taken my first 3 weeks worth and am now onto the dummy pills.. After the first day of taking the dummy pills I have come on my period! It's now Day 2 and I'm in extreme pain :( Worse period pains I have experienced! Not only that but when...

View more questions Search