Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amik Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Is this a HIPPA violation?
    I worked at a hospital as director of a department. To be able to download and access particular records in the department my password was used. Tow employees used the password and when I asked the IT department to allow me to change my password they refused since the program we were using to access the particular records was connected to m y email address password and they could not change it. I just found out that my email address at that job is still active and they could actually be responding to my emails without my knowledge. And worse, those who may have my old email address in their address books may be sending me emails and since I am not responding I look incompetent. Is this legal? How can I stop them?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2007, 05:00 PM
    NO this has nothing to do with Hippa what so ever. No medical information is being given out to those not authorised to see it.

And it is their email address ( you were merely using it while working for them) they are free to retain and use it if they want to.
    And they are allowed to use the same pass code. I image the log on pass code at my last two jobs are the same as when I worked there.
    Amik Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Thank you for your input. It just blows me away that they can use my name in an email and respond when I no longer work there.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 25, 2007, 06:44 AM
    I don't believe them.
    We had a similar situation at work... turns out the Compliance Officer found out some of our employees were sharing their passwords. We are all medical professionals who are all within limits to see the information shared, but we were all forced to change our passwords if we were the actual offenders or not.
    Here, when an employee leaves their email and all accounts are terminated immediately. (I work for a health care provider with over 500 employees and only 5 are computer admins but they still manage to do all of this)
    The way I understand it, no matter who is ALLOWED to view the information isn't the issue... its how you obtain it. Using YOUR sign on information should NOT be allowed... though I'm not sure if my experience is actual HIPPA or my company holds higher standards (I doubt it! ;)) If they have permission to view/use the info, why don't they have their own sign on? They shouldn't need yours...

Google HIPPA - they have a website that may help you get to the bottom of this.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Oct 29, 2007, 07:54 AM
    The HIPAA Security Rule requires organizations to have a policy for password and account usage that applies to email if that email is used for exchanging Protected Health Info (PHI). If email is used this way, it *must* be securely encrypted even if the usage is internal and steps taken to ensure that your email is not viewable by others. If your email was not used for PHI, then the organization can do what it wants with it - HIPAA Security Rule does not apply in this case. The organization should have a written policy that describes how PHI is used in electronic media. If it doesn't, that is itself a HIPAA violation.

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

HIPPA violation fired and injury on the job [ 6 Answers ]

I fell and injured my hip and knee. I was off for one week when the doctor said I could return on restricted duty, before I could return my employer claimed I had a HIPPA violation and fired me. I received two days of workmens comp. and I am still unable to work due to the injury, I may need...

HIPPA in a pharmacy [ 21 Answers ]

I had my pharmacy disclose my prescription information to my supervisor. What is the statue of limitations to file a claim against the pharmacy and my former employer? The violation occurred in 9-06.

Is this a hippa violation [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 yr old daughter who still lives at home was taken to a doctor by two other family members without our knowledge. My daughter did not have a copy of the insurance card but someone somehow got the info because a claim has been filed for the visit. After the family members that took my daughter...

Hippa Violation or Defamation [ 7 Answers ]

I work in Pennsylvania. I called my employer after work to tell him that I needed to take some time off to seek professional help for alcohol abuse. I said he understood and to do whatever I need to do. He was the only person I told. I went to a rehab and was released after 3 days due to lack of...

View more questions Search