Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harveymasons Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2005, 09:35 AM
    Question on 100 amp service/panel
    HI, glad to have found this place,

I have an electricl question hopefully Ic an find the answer to here...

Is there any way to have 150 amp service added to my 100 amp box? (Giving me total capacity of 150 amps)
    I just replaced my old fed pacific main panel and sub panel w/ cutler hammer and have 100 amp service.

Unfortunately I think I am going to need at least 150 amp service. I am turning my basement into a studio apartment, have added central air, whirlpool, among other things... Plus my 3rd floor is an inlaw suite so there will be potentially 3 families residing here

Short of replacing my 6 month old new panels is there anything I can do to obtain 150 amp service while keeping my cutler hammer 100 amp panel?

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Regards,
    Harvey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2005, 11:42 AM
    Maybe we are not as good here as it looks. I know you can add a sub panel or crowd in half size breakers and connect higher loads. In the end, you can't draw more than 100 amps at a time. Then there is your incoming service which in an older neighborhood, may not be good for more than 100 amps, and the electric company may not be able to afford to upgrade the area. Perhaps you could set another box and demand another feed and meter.

Somebody here may have a better answer, but unless you installed the box yourself, the best advice may come from whoever did. You could also check with CH to see if the new panel could be upgraded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Main Service Panel needs [ 9 Answers ]

I ran across this site accidentally today and found someone who had many of the same issues I need help with. Most of my questions were answered reading the forum however I have one more, using the following information I am hoping someone can help. The existing house is apx. 2300 sq ft w/a 200...

Neutrals and Grounds in service panel [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wiring everything for my basement in the panel. There are plenty of open spots left. When I look at the existing wiring (for the rest of the house), all the grounds go to the block on the left and all the neutrals go to the block on the right? 1. Is this required? 2. Why or why not? ...

Can we put the Service Panel in Laundry Room? [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a house with aluminum wiring, nothing is up to code (old house), so we are rewiring the whole house. We plan to construct a laundry room in the center of the house and we would like to locate the new service panel there, as there is no other obvious place to put it. Apart from...

How do I relocate a main service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to move my main service panel about 20 feet. All of the branch feeder wires need to be longer to reach the new box. How do I extend them?

Service panel in bathroom OK? [ 1 Answers ]

We are going to finish our basement and our electrical service panel in the corner of a room where we would like to build a new bathroom. Can we have the service panel in a closet in the new bathroom or would that be a hazard?

View more questions Search