Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JPS2 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Tax on sale of property
    I Have Property I Am Selling That Was Transferred Into My Name Before My Parents Died. How Do I Found Out What Kind Of Tax I Have To Pay On The Sale Of The Property? I Am In Texas
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 24, 2007, 10:22 AM
    With respect to any local taxes or fees that are due upon the sale of real estate, these will be taken care of at the closing. I believe in TX it's typically the Title Company that handles these details. I'm sure you can find out what these fees may be by calling your title insurance company. If you are using a real estate broker to sell the property he/she should be able to handle this as well.

As for federal taxes that may be due - since this is not your primary residence, if you sell the property for more than the amount it was worth when you originally took ownership (the tax basis) the increase will be taxed as capital gains - depending on your tax bracket this may be 20% of the value of the appreciation, less any capital investments you may have made and fees you incur in selling the property.
    JPS2 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 12:42 PM
    ebaines,
    Thank you, for taking the time to answe my question. I appreciate it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sale of Rental Property [ 3 Answers ]

We are in the process of attempting sale on our property in Tennessee. The tenant in this house refuses to let us show the house for sale. We received a judgement to get her out but she filed an appeal at last minute. Is there a statute that allows us an "absolute right" to show this house?

Basis and Expenses on Inherited Property Sale [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and brother-in-law inherited their father's home upon his death 6 months ago. Brother-in-law wants to purchase my wife's share. Brother-in-law is also executor. How do we establish basis, FMV and report sale between siblings of inherited real estate? The plan at the moment is to get...

Sale of property for $1 [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to sell property to an older sister for $1 to prevent a ex-wife from putting a lien on it. It is in PA

Property Sale/inheritance Law [ 1 Answers ]

My brother, sister and I were raised by our great-aunt. She passed away nearly 10 yrs. Ago. The house and property she lived in at the time is still in her name. My brother has been taking care of upkeep and taxes for all of these years. And it was decided among the 3 of us that the house should be...

View more questions Search