Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Disconnected Modem
    I accidentely removed my modem from windows 98 and have had no luck reinstalling it. I have tried however nothing has worked. It's HP intel 500MHz Pentium 111 processor,56K PCI Voice Modem. Any ideas what I can do to correct problem so I can reconnect to internet?Thanks in advance
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 24, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Try reinstalling it using the Generic modem drivers.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:39 AM
    If I were doing tech support on that computer I'd open up the PC, pul out the modem and find out which chipset it uses in order to get the correct driver.

Alternatively, if the modem came with the computer package (i.e. installed by HP) then you can check HP's site under your computer model for a list of drivers that pertain to your model.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:48 AM
    I quess I don't know how to do that. When I go to install modem, I have std and voice modems. Then it ask for model. This is if I auto look on computer. There is a place to let me install my own but it ask for a disk. I have no disc. I did run th windows 98 disc th came with set up and it installs a modem but when I try to connect to internet I get error 633 or 630 which says no medem detected.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Best to get a computer savvy person to open up the computer, note the chipset (or make and model) of the modem, then download the driver and burn to CD or <gasp> write to a floppy.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 08:19 AM
    I did find that it is 56K Voice Modem SF 11561V R9A. Does this help?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Go to HP.com and download the drivers for it. You will need the exact model of your PC.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Couldn't it be fried if it's not auto-locating it? If none of the above works just replace it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telabs 8110 modem ican I used it as leased line modem [ 3 Answers ]

In my office there is a Tellabs 8110 modem from where internet is connected . Is it is a leased line modem or it is a fixed ip broadband modem :)

Can't renew IP says media disconnected [ 17 Answers ]

I have a wireless network in my home and use it with my laptop computer. My desktop is connected to the router and the modem and works fine. My laptop is able to pick up the network and shows excellent connectivity but can't connect to the internet. When I try to repair the connection it says...

Media state disconnected [ 5 Answers ]

In ip config, cmd, it says that the media state is disconnected. I've tried typing in ipconfig /renew, and that doesn't seem to do anything. I'm new at this, and would like some help. What do I do to enable the media so that is connected. Thank you.

Media disconnected [ 2 Answers ]

I tried ipconfig ipconfig/renew but nothing shows

Feeling Disconnected [ 3 Answers ]

This question has been deleted

View more questions Search