Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carrol Barclay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 07:30 AM
    How to put a lean on a person
    How can we put a lean on an x husband who owes money to the IRS. But the IRS is coming after me. To the tune of 20,000 dollars. He owns a construction company. Is there any way I can put a lean on him so that he has to pay 1/2 the money back. In our divorce decree it makes us responsible for 1/2 the debt. However, I am paying back the entire amount. They don't seem to want to go after him at all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2007, 07:36 AM
    A LIEN is an encumbrance placed on real property to indicate an interest in that property as the result of a debt.

I don't know what property he has that you could put a lien on. If the divorce decree made you each responsible for 1/2 the debt, then you can sue him for his share. But collecting might be another matter. In construction he probably has his income sheltered so the IRS can't get it. And if they can't get it I doubt if you can.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 04:48 PM
    You mya need to GARNISH his checking and other liquid assets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lean on home [ 2 Answers ]

I have a contractor that what's to put a lean on my home and he has no contrack I have paid him up to what he has done .but he has not fin the job I don't need him wright now to fin the home I am doing other things to the home and I don't need to wock wright now.can he put a lean on the home with...

When I'm 100, if I lean a little, let me! [ 1 Answers ]

The family wheeled Grandma out on the lawn, in her wheelchair, where the activities for her 100th birthday were taking place. Grandma couldn't speak very well, but she could write notes when she needed to communicate. After a short time out on the lawn, Grandma started leaning off to the...

How do I place a lean on a home

Lean on home [ 1 Answers ]

A collection agency has threatened to put a lean on my home if I don't pay the $3,800 that they claim I owe. The original balance of the debt was $1,000. Is there a way I can get out of paying the larger amount and avoid going to court?

A collection agency has threatened to put a lean on my home if I don't pay the $3,800 that they claim I owe. The original balance of the debt was $1,000. Is there a way I can get out of paying the larger amount and avoid going to court?

View more questions Search