Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judyd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 02:09 AM
    Laminate flooring
    Hello,
    I paid a bulider just six months ago to lay a laminate floor in my lounge , six months later it has begun to rise in various places , I am very upset about this , and he's not prepared to put it right , so it looks as though I must try and fix it myself , trouble is I don't know why its happening . He use a liner and seemed to take his time but several of the strips are rising and when you walk across them a definite dip , any answer,s anyone... judy from Cardiff
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 24, 2007, 05:18 AM
    I would have to say make him set it right or take him to court. Could be some well placed hints of retribution may get him back to fix it.
    elmo13 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Probably didn't leave an expansion gap around the perimeter of the floor, not doing this would make the floor bubble or dip in places. Laminate needs to be able to expand and contract with humidity.
    Did he allow the laminate to acclimate for at least 72hours in the room to be installed prior to installing??
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 09:42 PM
    In most states the contractor is responsible for his or his worker's workmanship for a period of one year. Within that time he must make the repairs. If, and I do not think it is, it is a material defect, then the manufacturer would warranty the materials only and not the labor. Sounds like you got a bad job. Call him up and let him know if something is not done in 10 business days you will be taking further action to the fullest extent of the law.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 12, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Here's The Problem, You Must Have Some Cased Openings Or Some Door Jambs In The Room Or Around It, A lot Of Times The Casing And Jamb Don't Get Cut Out Correctly, Either They Don't Know There Supossed To Or They Just Don't Have The Tools To Do It, Never The Less These Floors Will Move, And You Need A 1/4 Play Around The Floor,
    What You Can Do Is Buy You A Dove Tail Saw Or A Jam Saw, Its Just A Flat Saw You Can Lay On The Floor, (lay Something Between The Saw And Floor To Prevent Scratchs, But You'll Need To Undercut Where You Have Doors And Casing Touching The Floor, Check To See If There Is Any Caulk Around Any Joints, Because There Shouldn't Be, Next You Can Try A Dehumidifier To See If There Is A Moisture Problem, But You Should Be Fine There Being You Said Hes Installed A Liner,

So To Sum It Up, You Floor Is To Tight Somewhere, Find It, Fix It, Your Done

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate flooring [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased my laminate flooring today and was puzzled by what I was told. The location I purchased it from said that since the flooring I purchased came with the foam backing already attached to the planks then I did not need to purchase the roll underlayment, the form on the back was all I...

Laminate flooring [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a Quickstep laminate floor 4 years ago. The laminate is bubbling in several places. Quickstep has a 20 year warranty, but has denied my claim. They say I used the wrong pad under the flooring. I used the pad that was recommneded by the retailer and in the Quickstep installation...

Laminate flooring [ 1 Answers ]

I am just about to lay laminate flooring in my conservatory, unfortunately the conservatory is a hexagonal shape, I was wondering how I would get straight joins on the laminate when I get to my change of angle within the conservatory, would I need to mitre the joints or measure the angle of the...

Laminate flooring [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to remove the skirting boards when laying laminate flooring

Laminate flooring [ 5 Answers ]

I am considering installing laminate flooring in my house. My doubt is that we have two dogs and a cat. One of which has accidents. Is laminate flooring better in the long run than carpet, as far as the care and life?

View more questions Search