Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Disgorge Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2005, 03:35 PM
    My screen is stretching!
    I don't know what the heck happened but my screen was stretched across sideways as if my computer were a widescreen. I tried changing resolutions but that made the stretching worse. I have it at 800x600 now and everything is on screen and not stretched, but it's all HUGE! I have tried messing with monitor settings but don't know what to do with them. Please respond, this has to be bad for my monitor.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2005, 05:21 PM
    It sounds like you need to use the adjustments on the monitor itself. Those controls vary from monitor to monitor. But they all have controls to adjust the viewable area horizontally and vertically.
    Disgorge Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2005, 06:41 PM
    Tried it, but I really didn't get anything... It's still stretched. Thanks... any other suggestions?
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Jul 25, 2005, 07:41 PM
    Picture Tube
    Could be the picture tube going bad... that's sometimes happens when they start going bad

Jul 26, 2005, 04:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgorge
    Tried it, but i really didn't get anything... It's still stretched. Thanks... any other suggestions?
    I'm assuming, you have black bars on the top and bottom of your screen kind of like letterbox format. If that's the case and using the monitor controls to reszie the viewable area did not work (it might help to know exactly what you did and what happened). Then the likelihood is the monitor going bad. If you have another monitor I would swap it to see if another monitor works and if the monitor performs the same on another machine. This will tell you if it's the monitor, the video adapter or some settings.

If you don't have another monitor to test with, then you will probably need to take it to a shop.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2005, 05:48 AM
    Monitor
    Hi,
    If all else fails, take it to a local computer shop near you. Take the monitor and the computer, let them take a look at it. Also ask them what it will cost to fix it.
    They can tell you what is wrong, if you can't find it yourself.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Jul 26, 2005, 03:52 PM
    Another echo! When are you going to stop echoing others answers, Fred?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jul 27, 2005, 02:48 AM
    Don't throw it out yet!
    Try different refresh rates at each screen size - working from lower resolution (it sounds like 800x600 works for your monitor) up to your desired resolution.

To do this you go to the adapter tab on the advanced settings for display properties. If possible start at the lowest refresh rate for each resolution to avoid screen problems. If you go too high your screen may be unreadable but just wait and it should reset to the previous setting. Otherwise safe mode will allow you to reduce your screen settings.

Also try to use lower colour depth when doing this.

I've found that older monitors fail first at high resolutions and colour depths, but are can be fine at lower settings, its just a matter of finding the right setting you can work with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning CD/DVD and screen [ 5 Answers ]

Are there any around-the-house stuff I can use that is safe for cleaning CD/DVDs and the monitor screen?

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

Blank screen [ 3 Answers ]

While on the internet my computer froze up and when I did control alt delete my screen went blank with all wavy lines. I shut the machine off and sbooted up again only to get the blank screen with wavy lines. No matter what I try I cannot get to my desktop. Can anyone help? :eek:

Screen [ 1 Answers ]

Customize my desktop? If not there should be laptop settings to set the resolution and screen size

Pc on, nothing on screen [ 5 Answers ]

My PC turns on, no boot, nothing on screen, help?

View more questions Search