Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    princess11bravo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Pet deposit not stated in lease.still vaild?
    We paid our landlord $200 pet deposit for each of our dogs when we moved in our rental home. She has since gotten a divorce, making her ex-husband our new landlord. When we re-signed a lease agreement after the divorce, he said all of the deposits would transfer over. Now we are moving out and he's told us that the pet deposit is all non-refundable. The thing is, in the lease agreement only the security deposit is spelled out, there is nothing about a pet deposit. Where do we go from here? I don't remember anything about a non-refundable deposit but there is no proof anywhere. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Do you have a copy of your original lease? That would be helpful. Normally, though, a pet deposit is non-refundable. Does it say in the current lease that a deposit for the pets was even made?
    Your best bet is to go back and see what the original lease says.
    princess11bravo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 05:03 AM
    I do have a copy of the original lease and it's not stated in either. The only thing I have is reciepts showing that I paid it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 05:24 AM
    Hello princess:

Unless your pet did damage, the deposit IS refundable just like any other damage deposit. It ISN'T a windfall for the landlord even though lots of them think so.

If he doesn't return it along with your other damage deposit within the time frame required by your state, sue him in small claims court. You can find your states landlord tenant laws right here, on this forum at the top in a sticky note.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet deposit [ 9 Answers ]

My family and I are entending to rent a house in California and the owner wants a $1000.00 pet deposit. Is that the right dollar amount for a pet deposit? It seems kind of high to us. What is the law regarding a pet deposit in California? Thanks lilbitof3

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

How much of my deposit can be used for pet damage? [ 2 Answers ]

I rent in California and have been renting from the same person for the past four years. We have a deposit on our place, however, nothing was stipulated as to being, "pet" deposit. So if my dog has killed strips of grass from continued trampling, can she lay down new sod, and charge me for it? ...

Lease Pet Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

Is the pet deposit separate from the security deposit and if so, what is the maximum amount that can be charged?

View more questions Search