Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 07:05 PM
    I was spanked up until the age of 6 when reasoning took over. My parents reasoned right and wrong with me. So, I tried it with my kids, younger than 6, and guess what, it worked.
    Well it doesn't work with my son. Do you think I started spanking? No, I started spanking when he showed no respect for me or my husband, or anything we had to say. I tried reasoning with him, he laughed at me. I tried redirection, he didn't take any interest.

So I guess the only answer is to let him run all over me and my husband. I mean why not, most kids these days are allowed to do whatever they want. Why should mine be any different.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 07:15 PM
    NS, hun, you are young, kids don't come with a set of instructions. If they do please tell me and I'll see if I can download them. LOL

2 years old is too young for reasoning. Redirection is an art form.

I have got it down to a look now. I just have to look at my 5 year old and he redirects himself.

As I said, we all have different ways of parenting. I don't think spanking is wrong, but should be reserved for very serious infractions only.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 07:17 PM
    See, my husband has that "look" and my son knows when he gets that look that he better knock off whatever he is doing. My husband has spanked him, but doesn't always have to.

Me on the other hand, he runs all over me. I tried the look, I tried yelling, reasoning, redirection. I don't think he sees me as any kind of authority, or something. He literally, I swear, laughs at me.
    kt1205 Posts: 125, Reputation: 4
    -

Jul 23, 2007, 07:21 PM
    Don't spank them too hard but just let them know that what they are doing is wrong
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 07:23 PM
    NS it sounds like you've got quite a challenge with your little boy! I can't imagine how frustrating it is for you.

You say you spank/swat him and sometimes he doesn't even notice - if that's true then is the correction getting across to him? I mean, if he's doing something he's not supposed to, you swat his butt, and he carries on laughing or whatever, it seems to me the message got lost.

I wish I could give you an alternative suggestion, but as I said in my other post, I'm not a parent. I'm ready to pull my hair out after spending the day watching my nephew who just turned three, and he's usually pretty good! Maybe the childproof devices mentioned earlier will help curb some of the bad behavior, and for your sake, I hope so.

You could always call "Nanny 911"! :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    NS it sounds like you've got quite a challenge with your little boy! I can't imagine how frustrating it is for you.

You say you spank/swat him and sometimes he doesn't even notice - if that's true then is the correction getting across to him? I mean, if he's doing something he's not supposed to, you swat his butt, and he carries on laughing or whatever, it seems to me the message got lost.

I wish I could give you an alternative suggestion, but as I said in my other post, I'm not a parent. I'm ready to pull my hair out after spending the day watching my nephew who just turned three, and he's usually pretty good! Maybe the childproof devices mentioned earlier will help curb some of the bad behavior, and for your sake, I hope so.

You could always call "Nanny 911"! :)
    Usually it is the loud noise of swatting his diaper that scares the crap out of him the most. Even if he does cry, he is over it within 5 minutes. He does get the message, but it seems to only last for that day. Its like he forgets, and the next day he is right back to causing trouble.

The one thing lately he has been doing repeatedly is putting toys, food, pens, stuff like that, in the fish tank. I tell him no, I give him a toy to play with instead (which ends up in the fish tank mind you), I send him to his room, and nothing works.

He is being real lovey dovey right now. Its amazing how he can go from angel to devil in 2 seconds.. lol.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Ok, I misunderstood what you had written. I thought you meant you would swat and he would go about his business like nothing ever happened.

I used to work in a daycare and spent some time with the 2-3's. I found that correcting them on Monday didn't mean they were going to remember on Tuesday... it was always a day in, day out thing. Hell, correcting them on Monday at noon didn't mean they would remember it Monday at 12:15! Kids are a lil' dense, lol! :) Is it possible for you to move the fish tank out of his reach, or move whatever he climbs up on to get to it? Can you get a lid for it that has a lock that he can't operate? Obviously this depends on the type of tank you have, but there has to be SOMETHING out there - there's ALWAYS something out there... Or, is it possible to turn another room in the house to the main play room? Convert an extra bedroom into the play room to get him away from the tank for a little while, maybe he will forget about it. Given that he is so young it probably won't take long, and it might make redirection easier.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 23, 2007, 07:39 PM
    J-9:

What exactly do you mean by "redirection" - can you give me some examples.
    I have 8-10-11 year olds, anything to help them, I'm game.

To the OP: I'm one of 4 [ we were born in the 60s ] that my mom [primarily] disciplined with a belt to the behind when we did something wrong , up until around 10 years old. 3 of us have doctoral degrees and professional jobs. My sister has a masters, but choses to stay at home for her sons. None of us is screaming abuse.

I wonder how many of peter jennings 'the greatest generation' were spanked growing up and if they spanked as parents?

Grace and Peace
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 07:41 PM
    His whole bedroom is like one big Toys R Us. And it all ends up in the fish tank.. lol. I do need to put some tape or velcrow on the lid, but I wish he would just get it through his head to just not play with it. I mean he has so many toys, its ridiculous, and he still wants to play with stuff he's not supposed to.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    His whole bedroom is like one big Toys R Us. And it all ends up in the fish tank..lol. I do need to put some tape or velcrow on the lid, but I wish he would just get it through his head to just not play with it. I mean he has so many toys, its ridiculous, and he still wants to play with stuff he's not supposed to.
    Well DUH, MOM! The stuff you aren't supposed to touch is the stuff you HAVE to touch! Lol! :)

My niece always has to push the limit - you tell her not to touch something and you can actually SEE the desire to just... touch... a... little... bit... welling up inside of her. Her self-control gets defeated every time...

Velcro is a great idea, and you can even get him involved in helping you apply it. Tell him it's to keep the fishies safe - so they don't escape. Also, I don't know what you feed the fish, but see if you can get floating pellets or something that he can throw in himself easier. They make pellets for goldfish, you can find them in the pet department at Wal Mart.

I found last time I watched my nephew I was able to distract him with a new, interesting activity. We baked cookies, scooped dry beans from one container to the other, worked on new puzzles, that sort of thing. For him, if you snag his attention with something totally NEW, you've got him. Might be worth trying with your son, at the worst you end up with burt cookies and beans under the couch. You can even make a day of it - go to the store to buy the cookie dough, let him hand the cashier the money, let him get the cookie sheet out, etc.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Me and him do things together all the time. He actually LIKES helping me clean. Go figure on that one.

I tried letting him feed the fish, and once when I wasn't looking he dumped the WHOLE bottle of food in the tank. Amazingly enough, the fish lived.. lol.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 08:01 PM
    That's the good thing about the pellets - you can have him hold out his hand, pour a small amount into his palm, and let him throw it in. I have a fish pond in my backyard and my nephew LOVES to feed the fish! I give him a few pellets, let him throw those in, then a few more, then a few more... It works out well because he finally gets sick of it after the fish stop eating.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 08:02 PM
    One thing that was kind of cute, but I still got mad at him, he likes goldfish crackers, well I gave him some, and looked in the fish tank a little while later and his goldfish were in the fish tank.. lol.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Ns I have 3 children, 1 of them was just like your son. He got a lighter at the age of 3 set his brothers closet on fire. His brother had a kidney disease that caused him to need different sizes of clothes depending on how swollen he was. I was devastated and scared,
    I spanked him. Yes I made him cry. Then I made sure to take the lighter hide it on top of the chest . A few days later, I guess he watched me getting it and he got it again and I caught him trying to light a candle. What I learned from that was to keep the lighter on me or so far up that he could not get to it. I never spanked my children again, from there on in. I tried different tatics, even if I had to sit with my arms around them to make them stop a bad behavior. I figured if that scare and that spanking was not effective for that type of serious behavior, that I really must be doing something wrong! He also had a little sister that 1 minute he was kissing and the next he would try to bite her and he had an older brother that was very ill and required a lot of attention. So with him I had to be very flexible, and try to spend a lot of positive time with him even when he was doing wrong things. First I would address the bad behavior,make him stop. Even if I had to hold on to him. Tell him I loved him and we were going to do something else. Also evrything he did I did not address, I just let some things go, The fish tank was a joke, eventually I just gave the fish away, because it was full of batmen and whatever else he decided to put in there. I had to learn what was important and what could be let go. So, spanking for me was not the answer. Btw I was whipped with a switch or a belt when I was growing up. Now, my son will be 16 in October and he is a very fine young man and has not been spanked since then. Boy did we have some rough years, I could write a book on his adventures. Thank God he had a wonderful pediatrician that stood by me. So ns I know what it is like to have a wild one and a small baby and also a sick child and it is hard. But you will get through it. I let my gut tell me when I was wrong with my kids, if I did or said something to them that was unfair, I felt it in the pit of my stomach and in my heart I knew it was wrong. I Did not repeat it. No one can tell you how to raise your kids. That is up to you. Good luck
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Not a father but I personally think there is a lack of it. I was spanked as a kid and it taught me to be a very respectful young man if I must say so. Particularly to elders. At school the kids who showed no respect for teachers or anyone else for that matter were the bad kids who were never disciplined. If only the teachers could have given them a whack I think lots of problems would have been avoided.

Call me cruel, call me old fashioned, call me what you like, but kids need discipline to learn right from wrong and in most instances I have seen (I have lots of young nieces and nephews) words, deal making, time outs and naughty corners just don't cut it.

Of course I'm not talking beating or anything of the like but just a little smack to reinforce who actually is the boss.

But it is such a personal choice and no one is right or wrong in their decision whether to spank or not. Some need it, others don't.

I do think though that the argument of "it isnt ok to hit another adult, so why hit a child is weak"

Especially in the US considering they still have Capital Punishment.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 10:19 PM
    bushg agrees: sounds like my son he always loved to clean, I think it's the busyness and organizing that satifys them. To this day he is organized and always on time and ready for an adventure!
    His favorite thing to do is help unload the dishwasher (dont ask me why, dishes are my LEAST favorite chore.. lol). The pots & pans go in the cabinets beneath the counters, so I let him put those away. He also cleans up his own toys, helps feed his brother, and tries to help change his brother's diaper.

There are times when he is the biggest cuddlebug angel, and then there are other times when I see horns sprout from that kid. Lol.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    Not a father but i personally think there is a lack of it. I was spanked as a kid and it taught me to be a very respectful young man if i must say so. Particularly to elders. At school the kids who showed no respect for teachers or anyone else for that matter were the bad kids who were never disciplined. If only the teachers could have given them a whack i think lots of problems would have been avoided.

Call me cruel, call me old fashioned, call me what you like, but kids need discipline to learn right from wrong and in most instances i have seen (i have lots of young nieces and nephews) words, deal making, time outs and naughty corners just don't cut it.

Of course i'm not talking beating or anything of the like but just a little smack to reinforce who actually is the boss.

But it is such a personal choice and no one is right or wrong in their decision whether to spank or not. Some need it, others don't.

I do think though that the argument of "it isnt ok to hit another adult, so why hit a child is weak"

Especially in the US considering they still have Capital Punishment.
    I think the problem is a "spanking" can turn into a "beating" (not that I think anyone here is doing that!), and that causes a whole bunch of other problems. Also, when you apply the logic, "I'm spanking him/her because he/she just doesn't get it/won't obey" to a husband and wife scenario, there's no doubt it would be called domestic abuse. After all, it's just a smack to show who's boss... Also, I think some people spank their kids out of anger; the kid keeps doing something over and over and the parent gets mad and hauls off and smacks them. Logically we know we should not hit out of anger. Logically we also know children don't have the same reasoning and planning skills adults do, but it's hard to remember that after you've corrected him/her for the 300th time. Then there's also the debate that smacking your kid teaches them to hit others; my nephew has his hand smacked and sometimes his butt, and guess what? He's a hitter. Is there a correlation? I don't know, but they learn it somewhere.

I don't mean for the above to make it sound like I'm judging anyone, because I'm not. I don't have kids, so it's easy for me to say anything I want because I don't have to deal with a 2-year old or 3-year old all day every day. There's no doubt being a parent is a tough job, and you are bound to lose your patience.

I think it's important to note, to all those who say they were spanked as a kid and they turned out OK that not everyone does. Some people are affected differently psychologically by spanking, and there's no way to know how your kid will handle it in the future.
    Expert

Jul 24, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Sarai,

As you can see, this was a very good question and we all have different parenting skills.

I am not an advocate of spanking, for the most part, but I do believe it has it's place if needed.

I am not an advocate of time out, at all.

I am, however, an advocate of redirection. I was asked to give an example wasn't I?

Okay just so happens I needed it yesterday at WalMart. Johnny so desperately wants Remy the Chef (the toy from the movie Ratatouille), well we were there to get school supplies. He was really getting on my nerves with the please, please mommy, in the whiney little voice that kids get when they beg. Well, I wanted to swat his tush, believe me. Instead, however, I reminded him that he needs a new lunch box and backpack for kindergarten. When he picked out the ones he wanted we could go home and play school and have a picnic with the new lunch box.

So, I successfully redirected his whining and begging for this Remy toy to something more constructive. I did follow through with playing school and having a picnic.

That is how redirection works. Redirect the bad behavior into something CONstructive rather than DEstructive.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Sarai,

As you can see, this was a very good question and we all have different parenting skills.

I am not an advocate of spanking, for the most part, but I do believe it has it's place if needed.

I am not an advocate of time out, at all.

I am, however, an advocate of redirection. I was asked to give an example wasn't I?

Okay just so happens I needed it yesterday at WalMart. Johnny so desperately wants Remy the Chef (the toy from the movie Ratatouille), well we were there to get school supplies. He was really getting on my nerves with the please, please mommy, in the whiney little voice that kids get when they beg. Well, I wanted to swat his tush, believe me. Instead, however, I reminded him that he needs a new lunch box and backpack for kindergarten. When he picked out the ones he wanted we could go home and play school and have a picnic with the new lunch box.

So, I successfully redirected his whining and begging for this Remy toy to something more constructive. I did follow through with playing school and having a picnic.

That is how redirection works. Redirect the bad behavior into something CONstructive rather than DEstructive.
    Earlier today, Aidan unlocked the poison cabinet (I need to figure out how he's doing that.. lol) and brought me the Clorox. How should I have redirected him from that?
    Expert

Jul 24, 2007, 09:33 AM
    You sit down in front of him and tell him that this is DANGEROUS. Use your best MOMMY MEANS IT voice. Take him by the hand to another room, to toys, crayons and paper, etc.

Next you move all chemicals such as the Clorox to a shelf above his reach. All poisons should always be out of reach. Proper childproofing means getting on your hands and knees and crawling around looking for potential dangers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Whαt's the scαriest thing thαt hαppened to you? [ 75 Answers ]

Everyone's hαd their shαre of spookiness so go on αnd shαre your own experiences:) my scαriest moment: i wαs blow drying my hαir αnd the lights turned off αnd the rαdio turned on super loud αnd the dryier died αnd it's never worked αgαin... not so spooky but it is my spookiest:)

Oh no I pressed α button αnd now my fonts αre super smαll! [ 2 Answers ]

Like the title sαys " i pressed α button αnd now my fonts αre super smαll!!" how do I undo this I tried going to view αnd mαking text size αt LARGEST but it didn't help:confused:-- it's only on my internet pαge thing the rest of my computer is normαl... * I wαs trying to press CTRL + V Ooh...

αny tips/success stories of wieght loss αfter hαving α bαby? [ 11 Answers ]

It's been 6 weeks αfter hαving my beαutiful little girl, shαylα, αnd now αfter hαving my pleαsent visit with the ob/gyn I αm pleαsed to αnnounce thαt I cαn stαrt working out. I know I'm not the only one with this kind of obstαcle so I figure why not put tips or type in your success story so...

My husbαnd is turning on me! Cαn I get some men's opinions pleαse [ 6 Answers ]

He's been αcting so mαcho chαuvist αnd treαting me like α second clαss citizen -- αll becαuse he cαn't trust me. When one I never cheαted on him, he keeps bringing up problems from the pαst continueously αnd I αlreαdy sαid I wαs sorry αnd owned up to them, αnd I've definαtely hαve not been giving...

View more questions Search