Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Thanks guys you're awesome!

But to get back on the subject, I do not see anything wrong with spanking if there is no other way of getting through to the child. When I say something to him when he's doing something wrong, he'll either look at me with a blank stare, or start laughing at me. And after that, he'll go right back to doing what he was getting in trouble for in the first place. It is so aggravating!
    It's called redirection rather than spanking.

Spanking should be reserved for very serious offenses.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    It's called redirection rather than spanking.

Spanking should be reserved for very serious offenses.
    What do you mean? Like when he's doing something bad, give him something good to do? If so, this doesn't work. He is hell bent on being a bad boy sometimes. Earlier today he tried to smother his three month old brother with a pillow when I stepped out to use the bathroom.
    Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Your mistake there. You shouldn't leave him alone with the 3 month old.

Trust me, I've raised 4, the oldest is 21 and the youngest is 5.

Redirection is a awesome tool to use.
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Jul 23, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Ever think its for αttention? mαybe he feels left out becαuse of the new bαby...
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Well I didn't figure he would try and kill his brother in the 5 seconds it takes me to pee.

I know he loves his brother, I just think sometimes he doesn't comprehend the fact that he could hurt him. I don't know. He gives him hugs and kisses all the time and says "i want bubby", but yet he does that.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saraispiel19
    ever think its for αttention? mαybe he feels left out becαuse of the new bαby....
    I have thought of that as a possibility, and I think you're right. If I give the little one just a little more attention than my 2 year old, he goes nuts!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Earlier today he tried to smother his three month old brother with a pillow when i stepped out to use the bathroom.
    Hello nauticalstar:

If you're trying to say that he's really, really bad so, of course, he needs a spanking or to be hit in some manner or other. I disagree. Children should NEVER be hit.

I'm amazed that adults think children should be tried as adults when they commit "adult" crimes. How dumb is that?? Actually, you could classify trying to smother your brother an "adult" crime, couldn't you?

Don't hit them.

excon
    Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 06:29 PM
    Redirection is ALWAYS better than spanking. You see, children get used to spanking if you are a spanker. Eventually there is no shock value. It should be reserved for serious situations only. Such as smothering a brother. But, that really was your mistake.

He doesn't know what he is doing, he doesn't know how dangerous this is, he doesn't understand that it is potentially deadly. Hell, he's 2!!

Spanking should be used for shock value only.
    Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Shock value, let me give you an example.

My only daughter was 7, her and the girl down the street (she was 9) decided to run away. After looking for them for 4 hours we found them, in the house of a stranger 2 miles away.

SPANKED!!

She has been a very respectable young adult ever since.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello nauticalstar:

If you're trying to say that he's really, really bad so, of course, he needs a spanking or to be hit in some manner or other. I disagree. Children should NEVER be hit.

I'm amazed that adults think children should be tried as adults when they commit "adult" crimes. How dumb is that??? Actually, you could classify trying to smother your brother an "adult" crime, couldn't you?

Don't hit them.

excon
    I feel that these are my children, and I will discipline them how I see fit. I was raised being spanked, and I remember very clearly that it got through to me.

Besides the fact that he gets spanked on his butt through a pull up, and doesn't even feel it half of the time, or doesn't act like it.

For future reference, please don't tell me what to do or not do with my children.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Shock value, let me give you an example.

My only daughter was 7, her and the girl down the street (she was 9) decided to run away. After looking for them for 4 hours we found them, in the house of a stranger 2 miles away.

SPANKED!!!!

She has been a very respectable young adult ever since.
    Holy crap I would have been so scared! Okay yes, I see the difference. Just out of curiosity, what did the stranger who's house you found her in have to say about that?
    Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 06:38 PM
    NS, the point he is trying to make, correct me if I am wrong Excon, is that...

Would you want to be hit for making a mistake at work if you worked? Nah

Spanking should be saved for extreme cases only.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:39 PM
    NS, the point he is trying to make, correct me if I am wrong Excon, is that....

would you want to be hit for making a mistake at work if you worked? Nah

Spanking should be saved for extreme cases only.
    There would be no reason to spank me. I am old enough to know the difference between right and wrong, he is not. That is what I'm trying to instill in his brain.

I feel that telling me what to do with my children is wrong.
    Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Holy crap I would have been so scared! Okay yes, I see the difference. Just out of curiosity, what did the stranger who's house you found her in have to say about that?
    Luckily, I live in the Bible Belt and the stranger was a minister. But still, it could have been a sex offender.

Rae got spanked once and only once, she learned her lesson. Spanking, in my opinion, should be reserved for extreme circumstances only.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Luckily, I live in the Bible Belt and the stranger was a minister. But still, it could have been a sex offender.

Rae got spanked once and only once, she learned her lesson. Spanking, in my opinion, should be reserved for extreme circumstances only.
    I don't full out spank him hard or anything like that unless he does something really bad, usually he will get a couple of swats to the butt just so the point gets across. I guess I should have specified better, I don't spank him hard enough to make him cry every time.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:48 PM
    I think it depends on what works for you and your child. I have spanked my child. It is rare - but it has happened. For us, time outs and "attention getters" work the best. Our attention getter is to take her face in our hand and get to her level - eye to eye - have her focus on directly what we are telling her. Making her STOP and focus. That actually worked the best for us.

If I feel it necessary - I will spank her - but as the old saying goes - it hurts me more than it hurts her. So I try not to do it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

For future reference, please dont tell me what to do or not do with my children.
    Hello again, nauticalstar:

I'm sorry you don't like my advice. However, if you post on a public board, you're going to hear it.

excon
    Expert

There would be no reason to spank me. I am old enough to know the difference between right and wrong, he is not. That is what i'm trying to instill in his brain.

I feel that telling me what to do with my children is wrong.
    So hitting is instilling right and wrong? Isn't hitting you wrong?

How about this. Is it okay for your husband to hit you? Then why is it okay for you to hit your kid?
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Hello again, nauticalstar:

I'm sorry you don't like my advice. However, if you post on a public board, you're going to hear it.

Excon
    I apologize, I was a bit rude. But like the OP said at the very beginning, everyone has a different opinion about this topic. You say spanking is wrong, I say it is not. And I also must correct myself for my words, he gets more of a "swat" than a "spank". He only gets a real "spank" when he does stuff like hurt his brother, clog the toilets (because that really sucks), stuff like that. I do not always spank him hard enough to make him cry.

So hitting is instilling right and wrong? Isn't hitting you wrong?

How about this. Is it okay for your husband to hit you? Then why is it okay for you to hit your kid?
    I was spanked as a child and never hit my parents, or anyone else for that matter. He has never hit anyone (although he did bite someone at daycare, I have no idea where he learned to bite).

And you people are making it sound like I full out hit him like I'm trying to kick his a$$. The OP asked for an opinion, and I gave it to her. Go ahead, attack me because I believe in spanking.
    Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 07:01 PM
    First of all, this is an age old dilemma, many people do believe in it, many people do not.

Biting... normal for a 2 year old, well some of them. I was a preschool teacher in a past life over 22 years ago.

It is my personal belief that your hand should not lay on your child unless there are extreme circumstances.

As I said before, and will say again... SHOCK VALUE.

If it is more often then the kid gets used to it, so what they think. But if you reserve it for something serious then it works.

I have an education in early childhood development, going for nursing now, and have 4 kids.

I was spanked up until the age of 6 when reasoning took over. My parents reasoned right and wrong with me. So, I tried it with my kids, younger than 6, and guess what, it worked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Whαt's the scαriest thing thαt hαppened to you? [ 75 Answers ]

Everyone's hαd their shαre of spookiness so go on αnd shαre your own experiences:) my scαriest moment: i wαs blow drying my hαir αnd the lights turned off αnd the rαdio turned on super loud αnd the dryier died αnd it's never worked αgαin... not so spooky but it is my spookiest:)

Oh no I pressed α button αnd now my fonts αre super smαll! [ 2 Answers ]

Like the title sαys " i pressed α button αnd now my fonts αre super smαll!!" how do I undo this I tried going to view αnd mαking text size αt LARGEST but it didn't help:confused:-- it's only on my internet pαge thing the rest of my computer is normαl... * I wαs trying to press CTRL + V Ooh...

αny tips/success stories of wieght loss αfter hαving α bαby? [ 11 Answers ]

It's been 6 weeks αfter hαving my beαutiful little girl, shαylα, αnd now αfter hαving my pleαsent visit with the ob/gyn I αm pleαsed to αnnounce thαt I cαn stαrt working out. I know I'm not the only one with this kind of obstαcle so I figure why not put tips or type in your success story so...

My husbαnd is turning on me! Cαn I get some men's opinions pleαse [ 6 Answers ]

He's been αcting so mαcho chαuvist αnd treαting me like α second clαss citizen -- αll becαuse he cαn't trust me. When one I never cheαted on him, he keeps bringing up problems from the pαst continueously αnd I αlreαdy sαid I wαs sorry αnd owned up to them, αnd I've definαtely hαve not been giving...

View more questions Search