Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smokee39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Sewer back ups.
    Over the last 3 years we have hade 3 major rain storms... each time my basement floods with clean water that comes out of the toilet... I have a check valve that does not allow raw sewerage to come into the house... someone told me about buying a toilet bowl bullet or plug that would not allow the drain water to come up from the basement toilet. Anyone ever heard of this and where would I purchase one? What exactly is it called & does it work? Jo
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Jul 23, 2007, 02:14 PM
    If your weeping tiles are connected to the sanitary sewer and the system is overloaded in a heavy rain the water will come up in the lowest connection in your house.
    The check valve will stop sewage from coming into the house if the main on the street backs up but if that check valve closes there is nowhere for the drainage water from your own house to go.
    The answer is to redirect the rainwater away from the sewer.
    This usually means running the weeping tiles to a sump hole and have a sump pump take it away.
    Direct the roof leaders away from the house as well.
    Check with the sewer authority in your area. Overloading the sewers has become a major problem in many areas. Many are offering subsidies to complete the work.

To answer your question if you plug water from coming up in one spot it will find another entry point. So it is better to fix the problem then to try and address the symptoms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bubbles and Back-Ups [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 1-story slab-on-grade house built in 1993 with two separate bathrooms. Occasionally we will hear the toilets in both bathrooms start to bubble, and I am sure it is bubbing because it has been significant enough to get the underside of the toilet lid wet. Today when we had the washing...

Toilet back ups [ 5 Answers ]

Within the last three months all the three toilets have become clogged and needed plunged. We have not had a problem with any of these toilets in the four years we have lived here. Nothing has changed. They even plug and need plunged if only water is flushed. Could a clogged vent line be the common...

Back ups [ 3 Answers ]

I backed up files from QuickBooks onto cd's, and 3.5 floppies. I took QuickBooks off my computer. Now, I was trying to read these disks, and I get this message Drive or network connection that the sshortcut QuickBook Pro.INK' refers to is unavailable, make sure the disk is inserted correctly, or...

CD Hard Drive back-ups via Nero [ 2 Answers ]

I have approx 7 Gig. Of files and 13 Gig of programs (Total ~20 Gig) on my PC which I want to back-up using Nero, however, the capacity of each CD is only 700 meg. (I've brought some re-writeable CD's so I can do this periodically without ending up with reams of CD's). Does Nero have the...

View more questions Search