Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Jul 30, 2007, 11:53 PM
    Remember, science isn't fact.
    Its theory, and theory is really just another form of belief.
    Also, should I trust what a scientist says? Should I believe them, just because he has some uni degree and some ideas about physics? He could be lying through his teeth, for money, or even to deliberately decieve me.
    I don't trust what I see on TV or what I read in the textbooks, it could be propaganda, lies or half truths (such as the japanese school texts books, which overlooked japanese war atrocities, an example of the fact that what we young people are taught can be bent to what the government wants us to think)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2007, 11:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    also, should i trust what a scientist says? should i believe them, just because he has some uni degree and some ideas about physics? he could be lying through his teeth, for money, or even to deliberatly decieve me.
    i dont trust what i see on tv or what i read in the textbooks, it could be propoganda, lies or half truths (such as the japanese school texts books, which overlooked japanese war attrocities, an example of the fact that what we young people are taught can be bent to what the government wants us to think)
    And how about the bible?

Jul 30, 2007, 11:56 PM
    The bible? The bible was written by 40 different long dead writers, who were born before the days of book royalites. They have nothing to gain from decieving me.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2007, 11:56 PM
    And how about the people who translated the bible?

Jul 31, 2007, 12:00 AM
    Christians.
    A huge part of the christian faith, is honesty and morals and stuff, so why would a christian decieve me?
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:04 AM
    Why would anyone else? We're all sinners.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:12 AM
    By the way, science is both fact and theory. Theories describe the facts.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jul 31, 2007, 01:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Starman, in response to your reddie, nothing in science is uncontested fact, where did you get the idea that it was?

You have faith, I have belief, I have no problems in admitting that evolution is wrong if real evidence shows that it is the case, but you will always continue to believe in Creation, because you have faith. That's the difference between faith and belief.

All you have done is decidedly cloud the matter, sadly a familiar creationist "tactic". The extent to which you have twisted my words it testament to the lengths you will go to protect your faith.

I certainly have not insinuated that anyone who believes in God is a moron. That is not even my belief.

"Neither is his claim that because Flew might have changed his mind the reasons he gave for his original rejection of atheism are wrong."
    And what of his initial rejection of religion?

"Capuchin has provided absolutely no reason, either scientific or logical why I or anyone else should place his claims above the opinions of theses noted scientists who do believe in God."
    But there's plenty of reason to place the claims of noted scientists who do believe in God above noted scientists who do not believe in God, right? This is why I cannot "understand or see". You hold some humans in higher regard than others, just because they agree with yout belief system. It is not I who is doing this.

"He doesn't even take time to provide the sources to his statements"
    Many times I have said "I can provide sources if you wish", you never ask though.

"Capuchin provides NOTHING to prove his pet idea"
    My pet idea? While I would have been honoured to have come up with evolution, the honor you give me here is unfounded, it is not my idea. I haven't had a chance to provide evidence, I'm too busy refuting misrepresentation of scientific understanding.

I can't carry on "discussing" this with you, because you don't seem to be able to make a logical argument. Please take a leaf out of inthebox's book. I'm here to learn and to teach, you are not here to learn, you're here to "win".
    I tried to put you on my censure list due to your offensive provocative tone and it turns out you are and administrator and a moderator so I can't. Which might explain why my detailed answer suddenly disappeared. In any case, I wish no further communication with you. I will keep my distance and would apreciate that you keep yours.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2007, 04:04 AM
    I only moderate some of the science boards, not christianity. I son't see where I was offensive, and I'd like to understand where I was offensive, so I would like you to point out where that is the case, if you wish.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 31, 2007, 05:32 AM
    >thread closed<

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why religion? [ 47 Answers ]

I was just wondering why those of you with religions chose to believe in it. That is other then it being what your family has done. Just wondering because I myself am not religious at all, so I'm not trying to bash on anyone and I also don't want to be converted. Thanks, Eric

Religion [ 1 Answers ]

What are some Historical figures and events of Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism , Daoism?

Religion [ 9 Answers ]

Well, I was not raised in church, My in-laws quilted me into it when I was about 21. I believed every thing I heard for years, I tried to "prove" it. I felt like I had to see evidence of the spirit. I rasied two kids in church until they were old even to make up their own mind. THEN I started...

Religion [ 1 Answers ]

What is the official teaching of the catholic church regarding people of other faiths ability to get into heven

View more questions Search