Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mebv1974 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Joint custody and changing schools
    My ex-husband and I have been divorced for 7 years. My children have been attending a parochial school for those seven years. I wish for them to continue there. My ex is taking me to court stating I signed them up without his permission, as he wants to send them to a public school. Has anyone experienced this or experienced an evidentiary hearing representing themselves?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 23, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Did you sign them up without his permission? Did you seek an adjustment in child support to pay for tuition?

Joint custody means each parent has an equal say in how the kids are reared. If you have joint custody, then he has a say in what schools they attend. If you enrolled them without his permission he could make a case that you aren't working within the joint custody.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 10:20 AM
    I think he will have an uphill battle, though. They have been attending for 7 years and he is only starting to complain now? Have you recently asked for more support? That might explain it.
    Mebv1974 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebv1974
    My ex-husband and I have been divorced for 7 years. My children have been attending a parochial school for those seven years. I wish for them to continue there. My ex is taking me to court stating I signed them up without his permission, as he wants to send them to a public school. Has anyone experienced this or experienced an evidentiary hearing representing themselves?
    Thanks for your answers. In this situation, neither one of us pays child support. We split everything 50/50. When he stated he didn't want to pay tuition, I told him I would take care of it and made arrangements to pay for it myself. As for enrolling them without permission, I have enrolled them for the past 7 years with no problem. When I informed him I had enrolled them, he didn't object. Then two weeks later, I received the court papers.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 05:52 AM
    But it sounds like you did not inform him until two weeks ago. Or did you inform him when you first enrolled the children seven years ago? Yes, he can fight this in court - anyone can fight anything - but winning is another issue. You are paying the tuition, you are not asking for child support. This sounds like a power thing with your ex. If your children are doing well in the parochial school, then why do the change to public school? How do your children feel about this? The Judge may consider that also. They are old enough to say how they feel about this.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    But it sounds like you did not inform him until two weeks ago.

It would be a sad commentary on the father if he hasn't noticed where his children have been going to school for the last 7 years.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Who has primary custody? That is the party that makes decisions regarding their schooling. If you're the one sending them to the parochial school, then evidently they live with you the majority of the time. That being said, it's your prerogative to do that so I doubt that your ex has a leg to stand on.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2007, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Who has primary custody? That is the party that makes decisions regarding their schooling. If you're the one sending them to the parochial school, then evidently they live with you the majority of the time. That being said, it's your perogative to do that so I doubt that your ex has a leg to stand on.
    I must disagree. While the OP may have physical custody. They may have joint custody. This means that each has an equal say in how the child is raised which includes schooling.
    sadmom29 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 11:56 AM
    Just having gone through this the judge decided the parent who has primary care is the one who decides what school they attend not giving any weight to joint custody.
    sadmom29 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 11:56 AM
    Just having gone through this the judge decided the parent who has primary care is the one who decides what school they attend not giving any weight to joint custody.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacation with Joint Custody [ 5 Answers ]

I have joint custody with my girls' dad, he will not allow me to take our girls on vacation for my Mom's 50th Birthday... We want to go on a cruise... What is the procedure to get a court order or legal permission to leave the country. I have asked numerous times, but no change in answer. I don't...

How to get joint custody [ 2 Answers ]

My spouse is now at a place in his life he can fight for his daughter not late for payment and never has not paid or been out of her life unless the mother took her away which she did for a year. We have her 6 months out of the year anyway and have a great places for her to live etc.. We do not...

Joint custody [ 4 Answers ]

My brother who is seeking joint custody of his 8 mo old son and has never been married to the mother of his child, but the mother of his child has other children with different fathers had her children taken by CPS prior to her having my brothers son. My brother is wanting joint custody, however...

Joint custody [ 1 Answers ]

My brother is not married to the mother of his child who is now 8 months old. The mother has had other children with different men. She had custody of the other children at one time. The children were taken from her by CPS and given to the other fathers. My brother does have concerns for his son...

Joint custody [ 6 Answers ]

If parents are in high conflict and haven't spoken to each other since the mother was 4 or 5 months pregnant and the child is now 6 weeks old, will that keep the father from getting joint custody? The father refuses to talk with her and has a restraining order on her because she is verbally...

View more questions Search