Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hemantkkumar Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 03:18 AM
    Diffrence between rusting and corrosion
    What is diffrence between rusting and corrosion?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 23, 2007, 03:23 AM
    Rust refers directly to the chemical reaction of iron and water to make iron (II) oxide, where as corrosion is a more ganeral term covering the interaction between solvent (in this case water) and all metals.

So rusting is a specific form of corrosion.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 04:12 AM
    Just to add to curlyben's answer, to rust, it has to be open to the air, not just in water. The oxygen dissolved in the water is only enough for it to slightly rust very slowly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rusting drywall tools [ 2 Answers ]

Any thoughts on preventing rust on drywall knives? I wash the with a hose and dry them with a towel or, when available, let them sun dry. I also rub them with steel wool before use to remove whatever surface rust is visible. But after much use the bluing seems to have eroded away leaving bare...

Age diffrence [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, I'm lost. My friends older brother and I hit it off. The main problem is he is 7 years older then me, and then I'm in high school. WEre both willing to wait, and just hang out until later in life, but it feels weird being that much age diffrence. My parents are also 7 years apart... and to...

Potential diffrence between two adjacent conductors [ 2 Answers ]

Can there be a potential diffrence between two adjacent conductors that carry the same amount of excess positive charge?

Dishwasher Racks Rusting [ 2 Answers ]

I had a problem with my Jenn-Air, (Maytag) dishwasher racks starting to rust. I had just replaced the front gasket for a leak and didn’t want to spend the $150 for a new rack. So I tried this and seemed to work, you might try this too to save some money. 1). I pulled out the rack, I used a...

View more questions Search