Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    witchie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 03:12 AM
    How to access data after lightning strike?
    After a lightning strike, my brother's computer has been left unusable. He took it to a computer repair shop who said the motherboard is probably faulty and they gave him a quote to repair it.

However, the computer is 4 years old and he'd been wanting to get a new one anyway. So rather than replace the motherboard, he was wondering if there is a way to remove the hard drive from the broken computer and access it via his other computer?

It sounds like it should be pretty straight forward but could anyone advise if this is relatively easy to do and how to go about it? I have suggested to him that he may be better off letting the repair shop replace the motherboard.

His broken computer is a Dell 2400 and the computer that he wants to attach the hard drive to is a Dell 3100.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 23, 2007, 03:28 AM
    Yes this is quite straightforward.
    Assuming that the drive is all right, it's a simple case of pullig it out of the old box, change the jumpers on the back to SLAVE and insert into the new box.
    Windows will assign a new drive letter for you and you should be able to get any data off it.

Jul 23, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Thank you for that reassuring news Curlyben :)

Will it be fairly obvious how to change the jumper to SLAVE? i.e. is there a switch or does it have to be done via the bios or something?

(Bit of a novice here regarding the inside of machines in case you could not tell! I have done techie things before but it always takes a long time to figure it out and any guidance would be gratefully appreciated!)
    BossMan

Jul 23, 2007, 06:45 AM
    No worries, but bear in mine this is an IF as the strike may of fried your drive.

Now the jumpers are on the back of the drive and it's basically a small bridge.
    Quite easy to find and most drives have a small diagram to tell you how to set them.

Jul 23, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Thanks very much for your help - got it sorted! :-)
    BossMan

Jul 23, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Excellent.
    All good then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Triple strike causing seizures [ 1 Answers ]

I have a neighbor whom in the last 2 weeks 2 of there three dogs have had seizures. I brought up the question about the chemical called "triple strike" in his yard and does not know if this would be the cause of there problems. Gloria

Strike to ribs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been hit hard to the rib cage and could not move for 1st day, 3rd day still moving very slowly. Extreme pain in the back muscles rhomboid and serratus ? I am curious about all the sounds of popping and creaking going on around the left side of my rib cage from the front to the back. It...

Counter-Strike [ 3 Answers ]

Ok does anyone know how to change your spray logo on Halflife: CounterStrike? If you know how please tell me..

View more questions Search