Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ashley-n-Josh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 10:44 PM
    What is the rite job for me?
    Hi. I'm 15 and I still don't know what I want to be when I get older. I no I have a little longer to decide but I need to come up with a career before skool so I can set my classes to help me prepare for it. Like if I was a doc. Id do heath... but I'm squmish... I LOVE kids and people so I want to do something like that. I want good pay but I don't want to go to collage more then 5 or 6 years. Any advice for what I could be?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 11:41 PM
    You shouldn't be "setting classes" this early in your schooling. Just get a good, basic education -- algebra, trig, geometry, U.S. history (or the history of the country you live in), world history, biology, physics, chemistry, a couple of years of a language, English lit, and especially the grammar/spelling/punctuation basics that you still seem to need. That should get you through high school. Then in college, you will take more basic courses and begin to consider a major, a career, that you figured out after taking all those classes. Like, maybe you really enjoy biology. That could lead to medical, agricultural, even florist-type careers. Say you loved all the math classes. That might lead you into a career in insurance or engineering or business/finance.

Spend some time over the next years paging through the published-every-two-years Occupational Outlook Handbook. That will give you lots of ideas too, plus will tell you training needed, work expectations, salary expectations, and where else to get information about a particular career. Here the link to the online OOH -- Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2006-07 Edition

The important thing is to get those basics out of the way so you can later build on them with something more specific.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 01:04 AM
    I really like the answer above! If I were you, I would keep in mind what Wondergirl has to say.

I would like to add, that you have a lot of time to decide what you want to do in life. Please don't feel the need to pressure yourself to make a decision concerning the rest of your life at your age. Even when you do decide, you might change your mind later and try something else. That is part of the beauty of living, is that we have choices to make and that we can also change our minds, depending on what we want and the circumstances that help to determine the decisions that we make.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2007, 07:03 AM
    I also think you need to pay more attention to your classes, especially english, if you want to go to college. Your spelling and grammar is pretty bad.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Unfortunately I have to respectfully disagree with you Wondergirl and Clough. You see, here in my school system beginning in 9th grade they choose a "path" that they follow throughout high school Say if I were in high school now, knowing that I want to be a nurse, I would choose the health field. I would have the regular englishes and math, but I would also be following the sciences so that when I get to college my Anatomy & Physiology is already done, Chemistry out of the way, etc. In that manner a student can apply for nursing school straight out of high school as the prerequisites are already taken.

Someone who wishes to be a rocket scientist would be focusing on the maths, etc.

Well, Ashley, you have already decided you want to be a Mom, remember you want to get pregnant NOW? Or have you changed your mind? If you like kids go with teaching. Maybe early childhood development. Talk to your school counselor, most of the high schools now have a test that you can take to see what your strong points are and from there you can pick your "path."
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Wow, J_9! Is there guidance counseling and/or various presentations given (e.g. "Career Day") to help students decide? Like our questioner, so many teens don't know where to start with thinking about a career. I do totally believe in vocational guidance and graduating from high school with skills toward a career. Your school system is definitely on the right track.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Yes, this is all very new. When my daughter goes to high school she will pick her "path" or "track" she will still have the regular classes like english etc, but the majority of her courses will be at the college level so that most of the prereq's are out of the way. She wants to be a marine biologist, so she will be going down the science "path/track" and take AP (Advanced Placement) Biology, etc.

It's a real money saver when thinking about college expenses as well as admissions to colleges. Many colleges automatically admit students who have taken the AP classes.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 08:55 AM
    j9 You are correct my son wants to be a nurse and his studies are geared toward nursing. These classes are going to save us money and him time. He will be entering his senior year of high school in August and he already has college credits. :)
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 26, 2007, 11:14 AM
    I just wanted to comment that my High School was set up the same way. I pursued nursing and by 10th grade I was learning CPR, etc. by 11th I was on a bus to a nearby hospital were I worked as a nurse aide in the morning before taking the bus back to class. By graduation, we were all certified.

Ultimately, it did help me get into college and I turned it into a career in healthcare admin.

Ashley, I'm glad you're thinking about having a smart future! Know what might help? Volunteer at a women's shelter!! You'll get to help kids/babies there who are in tough situations. That could help open your eyes to some adult possibilities.
    panehyiotis Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 26, 2007, 12:32 PM
    It's great that you are making conscious choices about your future in the now. Something that might give you a bit of insight would be to take a Myers-Briggs test

Online test based on Jung - Myers-Briggs typology

[Free personality tests: find out your type

Another perspective is to check your own intelligences and where your strengths are at present.

Multiple Intelligences: Take the Test

Just remember that you are still advancing at an incredible rate right now and these tests only give you a rough idea about where you are at now. None of this is written in stone and the previous recommendations to do some volunteering and getting into AP classes will help you in the long run. In this day and age, a Bachelors degree is almost a minimum as far as credentials are considered. If you are really sure about your path, an accelerated approach may be to take your GED and just jump into college ASAP. The caveat here is that there is a social learning curve that would get "steeper"in college.
    Whatever you decide to do, remember it's your life, "Know thy self," and the only stability is change
    All I can say is, YOU GO GIRL! :D
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Panyehotis. Taking her ged is not an option for the poster she is not old enough to quit school. You have to be out of school for awhile before you are allowed to take the test. I have also heard that employers would rather people have their h.s degree rather than a ged.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by panehyiotis
    If you are really sure about your path,
    Did you actually read the question at hand? She is NOT sure about her path.

an accelerated approach may be to take your GED and just jump into college ASAP.
    Did I actually read this right? You are advising a 15 year old to quit school and take a GED? OMG, very few 15 year olds are ready for the demands and rigors of college!

That was just plain old BAD advice!!
    panehyiotis Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 26, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Did you actually read the question at hand? She is NOT sure about her path.

Did I actually read this right? You are advising a 15 year old to quit school and take a GED? OMG, very few 15 year olds are ready for the demands and rigors of college!!

That was just plain old BAD advice!!!

I would assume that you are right and maybe the limitations are due to your states educational requirements. Besides, I don't believe I said anything about quitting school at all.
    I forget that 15 year-olds aren't real adults in this society. I only inferred with the word "if" because of her expressed interest henceforth the links to assist with self-evaluation.
    Maybe very few are ready for the "rigors of college" because of a lack of faith in their capabilities and so are not being treated as a truly valuable and needed member of our society. We as a social structure do not have a cultural rite of initiation that is acknowledged as an acceptance of being a full adult. Biologically a 15 year-old female is most likely able to be a progenitor of our species and it's kind of a shame that all these young adults in our society are patronized as being somehow less than complete. A hundred years ago young adults were treated as such. I don't believe we have evolved as a species to accommodate the recent interpretations of "capacity." Is it possible we are having problems in our society with young adults because of empowerment not forthcoming to them during their formal operational phase of development?
    But I guess I'm errant in my perceptions. Better to give "the kids" the keys to the car first, instead of the right to vote, and not really expecting anything from them until they are 18 when they can start practicing being a "real adult." No wonder my grandparents were so stubborn and self reliant. They started their families and full time work at 15. What a difference a century makes!
    In the future I will refrain from making any contributions based on high expectations founded in historical precepts and will discontinue any further discussions with this thread.
    Thanks for straightening me out.
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 04:18 PM
    take your GED
    Excuse me, but you did advise for her to quit school. You see to get your GED you must not be in school. As the GED is the equivalency of a diploma. You get a diploma if you stay in school.

This is a girl where in another post she thinks she will make a great mother and wants to have a baby, yet she is 15, not yet in high school, etc.

Biologically a 15 year-old female is most likely able to be a progenitor of our species
    I beg to differ as I have worked with the children of young mothers and know what serious and permanent complications there can be with this.

Times have changed, our bodies have changed since your grandparents were 15 and having children. We have more genetic anomalies now, more learning disorders, etc. Why is that?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 25, 2007, 04:08 PM
    I don't think its ever to earily to think about and prepare for there future. I can tell you there are more people that feel stuck at what there doing and hate going to work everyday.
    Find something you love to do and just do it. All that ever stops anyone from what they really want is thereself, don't be one of them... if your really willing to go to school for 5 to 6 yrs you'll be fine, but I bet that will change the older you get, good luck to you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rite Temp digitial thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Why does my digital display show the word 'filter". I just changed the filter about 2 weeks ago.

Aqua Rite, is it working or not? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a house with a swimming pool. The pool has salt generator. I just got the pool up working. The pool chemistry is correct now. I was puzzled by Aqua Rite salt generator and not sure it working or now. The salt generator is an older model, which doesnot have the digital read out. It...

My puupy isn't acting rite [ 1 Answers ]

What is a normal temp for a dog:confused:

Tax re: Full-time job in NJ and Part-time job in Brooklyn,NY [ 1 Answers ]

Am a Jersey resident working full-time(40 hours, AGI~$60,000) in Jersey claiming 5. May be accepting position in Brooklyn, NY for additional part-time (16 hours,AGI~$19,000-23,000) Have read responses about resident in Jersey working in NY with one job. Since my part-time position is in NY, I...

Janitrol to Rite Temp thermostat wiring [ 6 Answers ]

I am changing a Janitrol mechanical thermostat to a Rite Temp 8085. And the heat Pump is a Goodman. The wires on my old thermostat are labeled G, Y, E,R,O,W,and C There is no E on the new thermostat. I have hooked the others to the corresponding letters on the new thermostat and left the brown E...

View more questions Search