Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paradigm26 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Statement of cash flow~
    Zentak corporation engaged in the following transactions. For each transaction, indicate where, if at all, it woulbe classified on the statement of cash flows. Assume the indirect method is used. Purchased treasury stock with cash.

a. operating activities section
    b. investing activities section
    c. financing activities section
    d. does not represent a cash flow
    Smith21000 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Jul 24, 2007, 10:17 AM
    What do you think?
    sure_789 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 06:17 PM
    For each of the following transactions, indicate where, if at all, it would be classified on the statement of cash flows. Assume the indirect method is used.
    sure_789 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 06:19 PM
    For each transaction, indicate where, if at all, it woulbe classified on the statement of cash flows. Assume the indirect method is used. Purchased treasury stock with cash.

a. operating activities section
    b. investing activities section
    c. financing activities section
    d. does not represent a cash flow[/QUOTE]
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 10:44 PM
    We are not here just to give you answers to your homework problems, so I'm not going to tell you which one it is.

However, I'll explain the concept behind it so that you can hopefully figure it out for yourself. Think of your accounting equation: Assets = Liabilities + Equity.

The left side, assets, are investing activities. These are the resources of the company. So all of your assets (except current ones - more on that in a sec) are considered investing activities.

The right side of that equation is the debt and equity of the company. That's the financing. Companies finance their resources with borrowing and with ownership. So all liabilities (again, except for current ones) and all equity accounts are considered financing activities.

It does not matter whether the cash is incoming or outgoing -- it has to be related to that type of activity. (That is, even though paying a loan back is not "financing" the company, it's still a financing-related activity.)

Now, as to the current assets and current liabilities. Those are not included in the above. Those would be operating activities. That's because they're related to the day-to-day operations. Operations is your sales activity, and purchasing inventory, etc. So the change in balance of receivables, for instance, is related to the sales activity. And that's a current asset. Same with current liabilities -- it's just short-term stuff related to your day-to-day operations.

So in summary, the left side, assets, are investing activities, and the right side, with liabilities and equity, is financing activities. With the exception that current assets and liabilities are operating activities. And... unfortunately, just to make things difficult, there's one exception to that rule. Dividends payable is a current liability, but is still a financing activity because it's related to stock and not to operations. So if you can learn this basic summary, it'll be a lot easier to figure these out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statement of cash flow [ 2 Answers ]

If its stated that " $40,000 stock dividend was declared and issued during the year", does it mean the company already paid the dividend? Statement of cash flow is too complicated :confused:

Cash flow statement [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I really need help with this question What information does a statement of cash flows provided? Pleaes include the 3 componenets of the statement and give an example of a finanacial transaction that would be found in each section

Cash flow statement [ 5 Answers ]

Hii alL :) I have a question ? I want to know how we comment in cash flow statement :confused: thanks alot ..

Cash flow statement [ 1 Answers ]

I am using the indirect method for a cash flow statement. In the comparative balance sheet I have bonds payable 2003 $66,000 & 2004 $48,750 (decrease 17,250) The bonds payable were retired for $17,250. Do I show as an increase under financing activities?

View more questions Search