Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dckatzka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2005, 02:34 PM
    Dog pees when you touch him.
    5 yr.old NUETERED MALE rescue POM pees when you touch or even get close reaching to pick him up. We've had him for almost 3 months. He's friendly, but nervous and a bit shy. We suspect he might have been ABUSED. I will try everything I can 'cause we really like him, but if this persists we will have to find him another home which won't fix the problem and he will end up being put to sleep which would break my heart. Does this behavior even have a name? And is it all that common? Thanks to anyone wanting to help as I will "pay it forward".
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2005, 07:36 PM
    Yes, it is called submissive urination. It is one way a wolf indicates to another wolf that it accepts the other one as higher status. 10,000 years living with man have left dogs with 98% of their DNA matching the wolves. Your dog is trying to be a good little wolf. Common, yes, I just posted another answer for another dog with a similar problem. Because your dog is older, this will be harder and take longer. More so if it was abused as it approached maturity at 3 years old and tested the current owner at the time. You need show you accept it and work at building its self confidence. One good way is to play tug of war with it and lose. This can go too far if the dog is allowed to keep the rope or toy at end. You are still top dog and must take it and put it up.

Get down as low as you can with him, and do not make eye contact. Being higher and making eye contact are ways of showing your higher status. Keep your lips closed. A toothy grin can be interpreted as a threatening showing your teeth.

Good obedience training will help too. It does show your higher status, but in a way that builds his confidence. Your generous praise for success shows him, he is a competent pack member accepted by the leader. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/. With many dogs, you need to constantly confront them with your higher status. With the overly submissive dog, you need to learn the top dog prerogatives, and down play them.
    ranieri Posts: 136, Reputation: 13

Jul 24, 2005, 11:24 PM
    Dog pees when you touch him
    Have you had him checked by a vet? Dogs get bladder problems too. My neighbor got a dog through the shelter that was fixed and had a similar problem. Nervous dog any way, but after having him checked. Something happened during surgery or what ever the procedure that was causing the problem. Brushed up against a nerve or something, don't remember exactly.
    But I do know that it was remedied pretty quick once they figured out the culprit. Goodluck peace ranieri
    LoveMyBooBooGirl Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Jul 31, 2005, 04:54 PM
    Abuse likely
    It is very likely an issue of abuse. I have 2 rescue animals,1 was abused. I took her in at around 6 months old. She peed if you even looked at her for the 1st 6 months. It takes a lot of love, patience and effort to help an animal overcome abuse. Sometimes they never do fully recover and will require a home with no other pets or children. A lot of it depends on the level of abuse and temperament of the dog to determine the outcome. Good luck!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 03:55 PM

Please refrain from posting on old threads. This thread has now been closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Toe touch [ 10 Answers ]

?? I need a lot of help to get my toe touch higher and more straight? Can some one please help me know? I want to make it on the high school team!

Why does he touch his self all the time [ 14 Answers ]

A guy I work with always touches his crotch , every time I talk to him And want to why ? Does he fancy me ? Does he think about me sexual ? Has he got crabs ? I love to know... without asking him!

My daschund pees [ 1 Answers ]

My three year old daschund pees in the house. He was house broken before and he has a dog door to go out. He know he is doing wrong and my dad is thinking about getting rid of him. We have two daschund in the house and the other one does not have the problem. Please help me. Lee :eek:

My Dog pees in his crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old english bulldog that is for the most part potty trained. I've had him for 3 months and he hasn't had an accident in the house for a long while. The only place he has accidents is in his crate if there is bedding in it. He can hold his pee all night long if he's sleeping...

Excited Daschund pees [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mini daschund who is just a year old and pees whenever someone new comes in the house or we come home. She even pees immediately after being taken out if someone else enters the room she hasn't seen. Sometimes it is only the size of a nickel but still annoying. I know 4 mini dacs and...

View more questions Search