Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moomoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Alcoholic boyfriend
    How can I help my alcoholic boyfriend?He knows he has a drink problem and says he will change and get help but hasn't as of yet.After reading some of others peoples questions I've realised I am an enabler which I will now stop.He has in the past become slightly violent and he's always aggressive but he doesn't seem to believe how bad he gets when he's drunk and he never remembers anything.We are together 2 and a half years and I love him so I'm prepared to do whatever it takes-I just don't know what that is?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2007, 05:22 PM
    To be honest, the best thing you can do for your boyfriend is do something for yourself first. You cannot make him do anything to change himself, as you have realized. I would suggest that you find a Al-Anon group and start going to meetings there. There you will receive support, information, and knowledge that you are not alone. You can be healthy which your boyfriend may see as a threat to his alcoholism, so beware of that. His behavior may change towards you as he sees that you are going to do something positive for himself and stop taking care of him and making excuses for him. May you gain the strength to follow through on not supporting his drinking and behavior and violence when he is drinking. Only he is responsible for all that - not you. Not ever you. Find someone you can trust and talk to that person. Someone like a counselor or a minister - someone who has received training. Someone who will listen without judgement and be a good shoulder and resource of information.

Find some literature/books/articles on co-dependency. There are online resources to check out also.
    Codependency & Recovery from codependent relationships
    Codependence/Codependency=A Spiritual dis-ease, disconnection from Spiritual Self (a five part series)

Congratulations on making the decision to become emotionally healthy. You have a tough battle ahead but you can come out ahead and the insight you will gain in the process will keep you in good stead. The very best to you.
    fightn_tha_goodfight Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Jul 22, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Find a good church, my girlfriend was a addict and a drinker and I went to church and changed myself first, and in my transformation I loved her, and she seen the joy I had and wanted it, so I change and received something for myself first, than I had something to offer her and today she is totally clean, GOD Bless and fight the good fight
    moomoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 03:07 AM
    Thanks for your advice, you're right,I know I need to be prepared for more tough times ahead!Thanks again.(",)

Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    To be honest, the best thing you can do for your boyfriend is do something for yourself first. You cannot make him do anything to change himself, as you have realized. I would suggest that you find a Al-Anon group and start going to meetings there. There you will receive support, information, and knowledge that you are not alone. You can be healthy which your boyfriend may see as a threat to his alcoholism, so beware of that. His behavior may change towards you as he sees that you are going to do something positive for himself and stop taking care of him and making excuses for him. May you gain the strength to follow through on not supporting his drinking and behavior and violence when he is drinking. Only he is responsible for all that - not you. Not ever you. Find someone you can trust and talk to that person. Someone like a counselor or a minister - someone who has received training. Someone who will listen without judgement and be a good shoulder and resource of information.

Find some literature/books/articles on co-dependency. There are online resources to check out also.
    Codependency & Recovery from codependent relationships
    Codependence/Codependency=A Spiritual dis-ease, disconnection from Spiritual Self (a five part series)

Congratulations on making the decision to become emotionally healthy. You have a tough battle ahead but you can come out ahead and the insight you will gain in the process will keep you in good stead. The very best to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think my boyfriend might be an alcoholic [ 40 Answers ]

I'm at a real low point in my life because I think my boyfriend is an alcoholic. He would never admit it, but isn't that how the problems start? I have an alcoholic mother who has drunk from the tender age of 16; she is now 68 and is blind in 1 eye and losing sight in the other. Her health has...

My boyfriend is an alcoholic [ 9 Answers ]

I have been with my current boyfriend for about 9 months now. He has always like to drink and party and then one night he got his 2nd DUI while still on parole. Luckily his p. officer didn't make him finish his sentence but instead gave him house arrest and when he went to court he was forced to go...

My boyfriend is an alcoholic [ 8 Answers ]

My name is Amanda. I am seventeen and my boyfriend just turned twenty and is an alcoholic. A few months ago he was drinking three of four beers every night. Some night he would just get wasted. He went to an AA meeting and realized that he has a problem. He cried to me and apologized for hurting...

How do I know if my alcoholic boyfriend is lying? [ 2 Answers ]

Why does my boyfriend lie all the time about being an alcoholic. I know about his problem and go to open AA meetings with him every week but I still think that he is drinking and I don't want to question him as a relationship is about trust but he would just turn round and say he wasn't anyway even...

View more questions Search