Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nono Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 01:21 PM
    What kind of spider is this?
    I got two of these in my backyard. I've done some research but can't seem to find any spider that looks like this. I'm thinking it's some type of orb-weaver because it does spin a web in a circular pattern. Also, is it poisonous? If so, how potent is the venom towards people and dogs?
    Attached Images

asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2007, 01:28 PM
    I don't know the name of it. I wish I had a good spider book myself. I often would like to look up spiders I find around my house. All spiders are venomous, but most are not dangerous. I think the black widow and brown recluse are pretty much it for north america. Right? So this garden spider is probably not dangerous to you. It's very pretty. Nice picture!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Attached pic ---TETRAGNATHIDAE, tetragnathid spiders
    female orchard spider, Leucauge sp. Sept/94, LaSalle. Spiders are often attracted to the abundant prey at porch lights.

Orb-web Spiders

Araneae: Araneaidae

The orb-web spiders include those that make the largest and most intricately patterned webs that appear among garden plants in late summer and early fall. Perhaps the best recognized are the argiope spiders which can make large concentric webs, usually have a zig-zag stripe of webbing (stabilimentum) running down the center. The banded argiope (A. trifasciata) is the largest of these spiders in the region, but many other orb-web spiders in the genus Araneus may be found in and around fields.

Tetragnathids

Aranae: Tetragnathidae

Orb-webs can also be made by the tetragnathid spiders. Some of the more common are known as long-jawed orb-weavers (Tetragnatha spp.). These possess very large jaws and have long legs that extend forward and back as they rest on plant stems. They are particularly common in more humid sites, often near water.
    -----------------------------------------------------

This is what I found... :) :)
    Hope its helpful
    Attached Images

nono Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Thanks for the information. Looked it up and finally found a match. Thanks again.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 03:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nono
    Thanks for the information. Looked it up and finally found a match. Thanks again.

Glad to have been of help... :) :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What spider is this? [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this is? Location is Brazil, Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte They told me this kind of spider lives in cold places in the back of the house. Many thanks

What kind of spider is this [ 4 Answers ]

I found this spider in my room, I live in Minnesota, and this spider is about half an inch in length, has slightly furry legs, and very hard exoskeleton. It's also not brown, its black, and those lines are white.

What kind of spider [ 1 Answers ]

We found a huge spider with a white sack attached to it. When we killed it, goo squished out. Do you know what kind of spider this is and is it poisonous? Also, was the spider going to have babies? Is that what the white thing was?

What Spider was that? [ 1 Answers ]

I saw this unusual spider in the bathroom this morning but I can't find a picture of it anywhere on the internet It was very dark brown almost black, with a front leg and small stripe at the front which was light brown/copper coloured. It was about 1-2cm big. I couldn't see it that clearly as I...

What kind of spider is this? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi can anyone please help me to ID this spider that I caught in my house its huge it could be a giant house spider or a male hobo spider. I'm not sure though I would be gratefull for a second opinion.

View more questions Search