Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JPS2 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Quit Claim or Quick Claim
    What is the difference between a Quit Claim and a Quick Claim? Also, the last year of my mothers life she was very ill and lived with me, she signed her house over to me . Now I am going to sell it, do I have to pay taxes on the money I receive? I have heard if you are over a certain age you do not have to, I am 66 and live in the state of Texas. ( I have had the house less than a year)
    I just read some other question on Quit Claim and Qick Claim but I would still like to know about paying taxes on the money I receive.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 12:45 PM
    There is no such thing as a quick claim deed. The proper name is quit claim.

You will probably have to pay taxes on the profit you receive since you lived in the house for less than 2 years but you need to speak to an accountant to be sure.

Jul 22, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Thank you but I never lived in the house at all.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 12:56 PM
    If you didn't live there then you will probably have to pay tax on the profit since you took ownership by transfer rather than inheritance. But you really need to speak to an accountant to be sure.

Jul 22, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Thank you LisaB4657

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quick or Quite claim? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to have my Ex wife's name off the deed to the house. She is willing to sign the papers; the original deed is in my name & her maiden name. This is a three part question. # 1 Should I use $10 as a $ amount to transfer the deed? I have noticed quick claims deeds for one to ten dollars as the...

Quit claim [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased a home together 4 months after we were married, but in order to get a better interest rate for the loan, and the title to go through I was asked to sign a quit claim document. Does this mean I have no interest in the home now that we are divorcing?

Quit Claim [ 1 Answers ]

I've filled out Quit Claim form. Now, I need to get it notarized. Where do you go to get it notarized? I live Oak Lawn Illinois, cook county.

Quick Claim [ 4 Answers ]

My sister passed away 2 months ago from a brief fight with cancer. (six weeks, age 50). Before she died she quit claim our fathers land to my brother and this was okay with the rest of kids. Then 3 weeks later my brother finds out he has cancer and dies 5 weeks later. He quit claims the land to me...

View more questions Search