Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    traka Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2005, 04:33 AM
    XP Pro, "sluggish"
    Hope this list of issues can be sorted out. Sorry if it's long but it's everything in one post and hope to have these issues and decisions solved before I purchase another PC. I do not want to go through another phase of downtime I had with Win 95/98 days. Please , not again MS.

Not all questions need to be answered by one person, but I hope all who know how to solve what they know best being asked here, please reply.
    Or just have a say if you are expiriencing similar circumstances.

PC: XP Pro (SP 2)

Problem
    1. has recently started to "hang" during Shut Down or Re-boot.
    Tried shutting a few things down with Task Manager.
    Re-boots and starts up OK, but have to "force" the Shutdown.

2. Hardrive seems to be getting "busy", as if it's working overtime ( read write, noisy)
    3. Had message for the first time ever, "Warning, Virtual Memory Low"

I use Excel mainly.
    Software Development software just installed and this is where the PC seems to be struggling. It's not as if something is wrong, but it seems I may need to upgrade memory and or CPU due to extra loads
    CPU is 1.7 Mz.

On bootup, it get's there eventually, but now it's getting to feel like an overloaded Win 98.
    It's just getting sluggish. ( dragging a "wet blanket" feel, memoirs of Win 98)

All Anti-virus and other security software up to date.

Having said all the above, what checks would I have to do first to see why the HD is working overtime ?
    Not doing now as I type here, but if I surf, or start to use XL and work related programs, it struggles.

There are no chats installed, no ICQ's etc, no movies to watch on this PC, no TV etc. No games palyed on this PC.
    Just straight basic usage number cruncher.

Next.

I have had this idea for a long time and it has got to do with configuring the OS and it's Stanadard Application Installs which come with a OEM CD.

I don't want to use all the "cosmetic" add on's like Pinball,games, movie player
    I actulay use none of these extras ever.
    The PC is 100 % meant to be for education and development of my spreadsheets and VB type programing courses for beginners.

When I try to delete a dll file from the games group, let's say the backgammon dll or the poker dll file, after deleting it simply re appears !
    It takes up space and energy of my PC.

How can I make my Windows XP Pro into lean barest essentials to
    Get me online, startup my programs answer my emails, and develop my programs courses ?

I don't really need all the other bits and pieces that come with the OS, but there is not much I know how to make the files and programs I don't use to simply , go away ?

In a more graphical sense to try and relate to what I ask, is this;

A motor car is built on production line for retail sales in a showroom.
    Buyer purchases a family car with all it's gizmo's and what have you.
    The next buyer is a Motor Car Racing Team and they buy exactly the same new car from the showroom floor to.

The racing team takes the brand new undriven car to a workshop, strip off all it's cosmetics, except the essentials to make it go,stop, start and drive the bits and pieces the team requires.
    There is no air-conditioner becaise it's been removed and the engine of the car still starts.
    There is no radio, because it's not required.
    No glass windows, because it's a production racing car.
    But it still goes.

That's what I am looking for to do as much as I can with my XP Pro OS, to remove all that I don't use, but keep the essentials.

If this is a regular thing in some industrial situations, where the OS is only required, and only some of the OEM software is installed ?
    What is this termed as, if done by proffesionals professionaly ?
    Can this be done on XP Pro, to remove safely without without compromising the entire system ?

Is there software removal tools I can try to tweak my OS as if it's a "racing car" so it removes files and programs/applications I don't need ?

Or, do I just get the state of the art hardware upgrades being CPU and more memory chips.

Is MS getting ready to release another OS to supersede XP ?

What is "virtual memory low", is there an adjustment to increase this virtual memory or do I install more memory on top of it's current 256 chips ?

I would really appreciate if some of you experts take some time in answering these questions because the downtown is not worth the wait for "something to eventualy happen", it's easier to to just upgrade to a "bigger engine".
    But that will not solve the curent issues ! It's band-aid and it's what I am trying to avoid.

Thanks

Jul 24, 2005, 07:49 AM
    First major problem probably fixed
    I tried this program and it seems to have fixed the sluggishness for now.
    I used :
    www.3bsoftware.com
    Program is : FreeMem version 4.3

It makes sense if one reads the help files and if using applications with many OLE instructions.
    OK, so that's 1,2 and 3 solved for now.

Now for the " Lean Machine" XP, if there is such a thing.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jul 24, 2005, 12:43 PM
    XP Sluggish
    Wow! A cut-down version of XP traka? I don't think that's on Sir Bill's agenda at the moment!
    However,other than going back to Windows 95 :D ,may I suggest this link to TuneUp Utilities.The program is not freeware,but you can use it on trial for 30 days,before you either decide to buy the un-lock key,and thus use it forever,or delete it.The link is:

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

I had it on trial,before deciding to buy it,and have used it successfully since last year.The program is easy to use,and cleans out "junk" from your system,including left over registry entries,without you messing up your system.I use it about once a week,and you'l be amazed how much useless bits of files are on your HD.Even after you've deleted a program via the normal channels.

As far as another Windows OS is concerned,Windows Longhorn has now evolved into Windows Vista,and will be on sale to the public,Christmas 2006.Check out the Microsoft website for more details.

Just a footnote,I believe you have 256mb RAM installed? I suggest you add another "stick" of 256mb,thus increasing your capacity to 512mb RAM.It won't turn your PC into a formula 1 racing car,but it will help in the short run.

Nez
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2005, 07:06 AM
    Xp sluggish
    Hi,
    Here is a link for a free, great, cleaner. It is much better than the disk cleaner that comes with XP.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

CCleaner is the best I have used, out of many, and now I stick with it.
    It will clean out old log files, junk files, not needed that build up on your hard drive.

Also, here is a link for tips and tricks to fine tune XP.

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

One of the best ways to "speed up" your computer is to make manual changes to the Virtual Memory, as explained in the above link.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jul 25, 2005, 09:03 AM
    XP Sluggish
    Fred's advice is good,as Crap Cleaner is an excellent "freebie",and well worth donating a little money,to keep the program running,and for continual improvement.Another trick is to try this in XP:

Start > right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
    Click on the "Advanced" tab.
    See the "Performance" section? Click "Settings".
    Disable the following:

Fade or slide menus into view.
    Fade or slide ToolTips into view.
    Fade out menu items after clicking.
    Show Shadows under menus.
    Slide open combo boxes.
    Slide taskbar buttons.
    Use a background image for each folder type.
    Use common tasks.

It will help you PC work just a little better,without the CPU having to work overtime,plus XP still looks nice.

If your using a picture image on your desktop,switch it off,and just use one of the available colours.It might seem boreing at first,but you'l soon get used to it,and your PC will thank you in the long run :D

Nez.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jul 25, 2005, 10:50 AM
    See below...

Quote Originally Posted by traka

PC: XP Pro (SP 2)
    Problem
    1. has recently started to "hang" during Shut Down or Re-boot.
    Tried shutting a few things down with Task Manager.
    Re-boots and starts up ok, but have to "force" the Shutdown.

Check Processes Running & CPU Usage % @ TaskMgr; check the [Processes] tab & sort by CPU to "prioritize" running processes; also, check memory resources...

2. Hardrive seems to be getting "busy", as if it's working overtime ( read write, noisy)

Possibilities: (1) Rogue/stuck process running in backgnd (e.g., virus scan)-see TaskMgr above. (2) Security breach (Port scan = $ netstat -a); (3) spyware/startup files ($ msconfig) (4) virtual cache/spare disk space too low ($ mem/c)

3. Had message for the first time ever, "Warning, Virtual Memory Low"
    see item 4 above

I use Excel mainly.
    Software Development software just installed and this is where the PC seems to be struggling. It's not as if something is wrong, but it seems I may need to upgrade memory and or CPU due to extra loads
    CPU is 1.7 Mz.

On bootup, it get's there eventualy, but now it's getting to feel like an overloaded Win 98.
    It's just getting sluggish. ( dragging a "wet blanket" feel, memoirs of Win 98)

Is all your Anti-virus and other security software up to date? ALso, what is OTHER security software?? You MUST have AND RUN most of the freeware anti-spyware pgm.

Having said all the above, what checks would I have to do first to see why the HD is working overtime ?
    Not doing now as I type here, but if I surf, or start to use XL and work related programs, it struggles.

There are no chats installed, no ICQ's etc, no movies to watch on this pc, no TV etc. No games palyed on this PC.
    Just straight basic usage number cruncher.

Next. .... Stream-lining XP, deleting DLL, etc, is not a good idea if you dont know what your doing.... Considering the cheap $/MB for memory, disk space should not be an issue. Manually deleting files from your drive w/o the registry having knowledge is asking for trouble.... It would be better to "custom" re-install XP with the MINIMUM config (vs normal/default config). You can manually choose the minimum config

If you need more details, ask. Otherwise, this should likely resolve your boot issue(s)... P2E

Thanks

Jul 25, 2005, 04:18 PM
    Thanks for the replies all.

We are going to add extra memory sticks to compensate and see what happens.
    But FreeMem made all the difference during compliling and debugging "test software"

Cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Difference between "htm" and "html" [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, In all the websites I make, they all come out when loaded onto the server as a "htm" file. But I see others who have "html" files on their sites, what exactly is the difference, if any? For example: what is the difference between index.htm and index.html and will the nameservers...

View more questions Search