Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rayman44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 08:17 AM
    17 Yr old Hunter Fan with Broken pull switch :(
    I have a Hunter 5 blade 52" fan I bought & installed in 1990. I don't have papers on it, nor do I even know where to look for a model number. Over the yrs the fan has worked w/o a problem. Last week I pulled the chain to adjust the speed and it broke and came off (from inside the fan)... I took the bottom plate off and disconnected the pull-switch from the fan. There are (2) black wires coming out of the switch then there is a black "thing" that has been referred to as a capacitor which is connected to the switch as well. I took the whole thing to Home Depot & said "I need one of these"... The guy said he has seen the switch, but not with a capacitor. Anyhow since the fan had 3 speeds and that there were 5 wires coming out of the capacitor, we chose a "Fantec 3 speed fan switch, double layer, 5-8 wire application," (this switch was identical to what was there - the same markings and all). I asked the sales person, how I get the wires out of the old & into the new. He struggled & could not do it. Just then another sales person cam by and said "oh here let me show you" & proceeded to use a paper clip & pull the wires out.. UNFORTUNATELY, he did NOT keep track of where they came from. Long story short, they gave me Hunters Store Tech Support Number to call (it was a Sunday when this happened).
    During the next week I called and got three techs & three different ways to wire the capacitor to the switch, NONE of which works.. (So you know, "hard wired" from the capacitor are 5 wires, 2-gray, 1-green, 1-red, 1-brown...Hanging out of the fan is a Black, a Gray, and a Red wire.. which get twisted & capped with those color wires from the switch & the capacitor, the other three wires from the capacitor have soldered ends that go into the switch.)
    All 3 Techs agreed the black wires that attach to the fan go in the switch in the "L" position both outer (on the outside) and inner (next to the pull-chain). They all agree that the gray wire is in the #1 slot, the brown wire in the #2 slot, and the green in the#3 slot, but I got three different versions of what goes in the inner or outer holes.( Every time I hook it all back together, I get off, off, low, high... )
    Also, I'm not sure it will help but on the capacitor the three lines of writing say:
    Y C E
    10MFD/5MFD/250VAC
    GY/5R/5BR/5GR

HELP!! :(

Any assistance you might be able to give is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you, Rayman44
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Not all fan switching alike. Wires may be connected to correct holes. Does Hunter have replacement switch? Sometimes Fan Info on top of motor.
    If it is Iron and has, Oil fill hole, possibly "Original" Hunter
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 05:14 PM
    You're going to need to contact Hunter for the correct switch and wiring. The model number will be somewhere on the fan body.

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    Openmind Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Yes I think I have your fan or very close. Black L brown 2 grey 1 green 3. I came to your question in hopes to answre one of my own. Having a hunter wall speed control and dimmer switch I wanted to eliminate the lights put them recesses light cans (I did) and direct forward high speed at all times. Controlling it through the switch eliminating anything in the can below the fan blades I pulled al the wires through the center an up top but did not see how the capacitor was wired originally
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2008, 11:34 AM

Openmind, what is your question? You've lost me.
    Openmind Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 09:22 AM
    In haste I dissasembled all the wires in the electrical can below the fan blades and pulled the 4 wires pink yellow red and white up to the top. I was hoping to wire the fan in the high speed forward direction leaving it up to the wall switch to control the speed but did not take note of the order through the capacitor. This will give my fan a sleaker look without replacing the fan.

Thanks anyone
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2008, 05:49 PM

You might have messed it up.. . What make is the fan?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter fan 3 pull switch [ 27 Answers ]

Hello: I have removed the well tec E116997 switch as the chain broke off in the housing. I have Replaced the chain but can't get the right combination of positioning to get the pull sequence. I can buy a 3 pull light switch but don't know if that would be safe.There is a Capacitor in the circuit...

Hunter Ceiling Fan On/Off Pull String Out of socket [ 2 Answers ]

The pull string for the on/off switch pulled out of the socket. Can the pull string be put back into the socket?

Broken ceiling fan pull [ 8 Answers ]

Hi! To turn on our ceiling fan, you have to pull a chain. This chain broke right out of the fan. Is this fixable? Thanks.

Hunter fan switch ---won't stop [ 1 Answers ]

Just replaced a hunter 3 way fan switch. Swear I matched up the wires correctly. The light works properly off a second pull chain, and the wall switch cuts power to both fan and light. The fan definitely operates on 3 speeds, BUT... the off position on the pull chain, doesn't stop the fan...

HELP! Wiring a pull chain in a Hunter ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my 81 year old mother's ceiling fan pull chain broke off inside the switch. I was careful when I changed the switches, only changing one color at a time. It didn't work, so I called my electrician brother-in-law who discombooberated the whole mess, told me the switch I got was bad and went on...

View more questions Search