Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linherb2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 06:56 AM
    14 yr. old stopped eating
    We know that Maggie is nearing the end of her life, but she hasn't eaten in 3 days now. She doesn't act "sick". She is drinking lots of water and telling us when she needs to go outside. She seems confused. She takes heart meds. For enlarged heart. Our vet wants $1800 for an echo. No one loves their pets more than we do, but we just can't afford to pay that kind of money. We are in the morning of the 4th day wihtout food. We don't know what to do. I am nearing panic!:confused:
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Sounds like it may be her end if you don't take her to the vet. Forget the echo, even if they find something they can't fix it at her age. Check for kidney problem or diabetes.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2007, 09:23 AM
    You didn't say what breed she is. If the vet has checked her and has no easy remedy, it may be her time even if she is a smaller breed you could have hoped for a longer life. You may want to read the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 You may want tempt her with rich food to give her a little more time if you don't think she is suffering. Certainly it is no time to worry about the long term consequences of an unbalanced diet. My friends went through this with their 15 year old Lab Maggie last fall. Maggie was allowed to decline for a month or 2 giving us all a chance to accept her time had come. That Maggie was deeply loved by 3 families, her host family, my family that raised Aster from her first litter, and the lady that was Aster's partner the years she worked as a dog guide. After losing Maggie, it would have been very hard for all of us if I hadn't spent $1200 this year having a tumor removed. Although nearly 14 now, and slowed by arthritis, Aster is still enjoying retiring to her puppy home.

As I start in the sticky, the important thing is to know your dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My pitbull stopped eating 2 DAYS AGO, WHAT DO I DO? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old female pitbull. I just noticed that yesterday morning, when I put the dog outside on her lead, that her food, from the previous day is still there. She is drinking a lot of water. She will not even eat people food! What do I do. We are taking her to the vet, but what can I...

Dog stopped eating [ 6 Answers ]

My 12 year old dog stopped eating about 3 days ago. When I got o feed him he still gets really excited like normal but then doesn't touch his food. I feed him dry biscuits in the morning and dog roll at night and he hasn't touched anything. Otherwise he seems normal and nothing else has changed. ...

Dog stopped eating [ 4 Answers ]

I need some help my dog has stopped eating. SHe drinks but will not eat and if I try and get her to eat she will go and hide behind the chair. She is only 5 years old and has never been sick. Does anyone have any advice as to what is going on.

Dog stopped eating [ 3 Answers ]

My 4 year old chow/rott mix just stopped eating. She was all right yesterday morning, but last night would not eat her dinner and this morning did not eat. She has never done that. I was thinking that maybe she ate something that upset her stomach. How long would it take to pass something that did...

My 2 year old stofordshire bull terrier has stopped eating. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello my Staffordshire bull terrier has stopped eating anything. I have tried tempting him with his favorite treat (mature cheder cheese) but he won't touch it, he is quite large for his age (nearly fully grown) and is naturally active and playful all of the time even now when he hasn't been...

View more questions Search