Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kygal Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 05:48 AM
    When does child support stop?
    My husband currently pays child support for a 17 and 14 year old and their mother has told them that their dad could have to pay child support for them through college. I thought it stopped after completing high school or age 18. Which is it? Thanks for your help!
    linherb2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kygal
    My husband currently pays child support for a 17 and 14 year old and their mother has told them that their dad could have to pay child support for them through college. I thought it stopped after completing high school or age 18. Which is it? Thanks for your help!!
    You are correct. It stops at 18 or after graduation from high school, unless he agreed to continue to pay child support through college in the settlement agreement which would have become a part of their final judgment and decree of divorce.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Well actually most child support agreements, and many states require support though college if the child is living at home and attending full time an accredited college or trade school.

** and of course the father of the child should be glad to assist in paying for their child's college education. So he needs to get his child support paperwork out and see exactly what it says, That is what he is obligated to.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2007, 08:28 AM
    It depends on the laws of your particular state. Some states provide for the continued payment of child support through college, usually up to the age of 23. Check with a local family law attorney to be sure.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 25, 2009, 03:09 PM
    Question over 2 years old... CLOSED

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Do you still have to pay child support if you give up your rights to a child? [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend found out he had a child last summer. The child was already six months old when he was told it was his. My boyfriend had a one night stand with this woman. He didn't and still doesn't even know her. One day she just saw him driving and called out to him, raising the child into the...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

My ex husband wants to stop paying child support [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I live in New York state. My husband and I split 12 years ago when my daughter was 6. They recently had a break down in their relationship (she's upset because he's moving to North Carolina with his girlfriend), and he's decided to take me to court to...

View more questions Search