Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dfwswf Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Jul 22, 2007, 03:06 AM
    Home Equity Loans
    Can someone give me the low-down on Home Equity Loans? I need to fix up my house in order to sell it. I have no cash-on-hand but I do have somewhere between $60 and $70,000 in equity. The biggest kink is that I am unemployed with the worst credit on the planet because I have spent the last 3 years caring for my grandmother. Recently, she passed away and I can finally sell the house but have been told that I could lose anywhere between $20 and $40,000 if I don't make all the necessary repairs. Most of the repairs are cosmetic but I do have a couple of major repairs - central air is out is probably the biggest. I guess what I want to know is just how these type of loans work and if I will qualify without a job and sh*%ty credit? Of course I plan on returning to work after the house sells but with all that needs to be done I just don't see how I could do it unless I worked at it full-time. Looking for any and all suggestions...

Thanks!
    Michelle
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 22, 2007, 03:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dfwswf
    Can someone give me the low-down on Home Equity Loans? I need to fix up my house in order to sell it. I have no cash-on-hand but I do have somewhere between $60 and $70,000 in equity. The biggest kink is that I am unemployed with the worst credit on the planet due to the fact that I have spent the last 3 years caring for my grandmother. Recently, she passed away and I can finally sell the house but have been told that I could lose anywhere between $20 and $40,000 if I don't make all the necessary repairs. Most of the repairs are cosmetic but I do have a couple of major repairs - central air is out is probably the biggest. I guess what I want to know is just how these type of loans work and if I will qualify without a job and sh*%ty credit? Of course I plan on returning to work after the house sells but with all that needs to be done I just don't see how I could do it unless I worked at it full-time. Looking for any and all suggestions...

Thanks!
    Michelle
    I think it might just be possible to get a home equity loan but proabably one that has terms that are not very attractive, i.e. rates, etc. Consider finding employment first, then consider doing the cosmetic repairs yourself if you can. The AC is probably one issue you can't do w/o paying for assistance from a HVAC company. That's about all I can suggest, but just beware of predatory lenders if you go for the home equity.
    DianeV Sr Loan Officer Posts: 76, Reputation: 9

Jul 25, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dfwswf
    Can someone give me the low-down on Home Equity Loans? I need to fix up my house in order to sell it. I have no cash-on-hand but I do have somewhere between $60 and $70,000 in equity. The biggest kink is that I am unemployed with the worst credit on the planet due to the fact that I have spent the last 3 years caring for my grandmother. Recently, she passed away and I can finally sell the house but have been told that I could lose anywhere between $20 and $40,000 if I don't make all the necessary repairs. Most of the repairs are cosmetic but I do have a couple of major repairs - central air is out is probably the biggest. I guess what I want to know is just how these type of loans work and if I will qualify without a job and sh*%ty credit? Of course I plan on returning to work after the house sells but with all that needs to be done I just don't see how I could do it unless I worked at it full-time. Looking for any and all suggestions...

Thanks!
    Michelle
    Cut your losses and sell it as is. While ideally, you should fix it up, you are not going to qualify for any mortgage if you are unemployed. The condition of the property may also hinder your ability to get a mortgage My point is that while you are fixing things up, you are losing your own income and it could take months. Get out now and get on with your life.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Were you told you would lose $20-40K or that you would have to lower your price by that amount? There is a big difference. If you have to spend $20K to be able to sell for a $40K hugher price is that really worth it? There is really no guarantee.

I would try selling as a handyman's special and get on with your life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New home addition -home equity loan or remortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I am 54yrs old and have only 3 yrs left on mortgage.. I want to put on a new addition to house and looks like I will have to borrow $80,000.. Do I want to do home equity or remortgage? I would like to retire in 11 yrs or less

How to go about sueing countrywide home loans [ 1 Answers ]

After 30 months of daily reminders of a missed payment to countrywide home loan, company found the two lost payments and all they can say is sorry. Wrecked credit, fighting between husband and wife at the point of separtion. We feel this needs to be addressed and we want to sue. We had an lawyer...

View more questions Search