Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dfwswf Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Jul 22, 2007, 01:54 AM
    DIY Vinyl Siding - Possibility or Pipe Dream?
    My home is 95% brick - the only wood or frame part is a section in the back approximately 10' wide, the undereaves and the area around the front door. I'd like to replace it with Vinyl Siding and have a couple of questions about doing that.

First, I consider myself pretty handy and have no problems following instructions. I have my own power tools and I'm not afraid to use them! But, is there a certain brand or company that provides better support or instructions for someone who has never done this type of work before? (but not afraid to try!)

Secondly, just how difficult is this task going to be? Please compare it to interior remodeling tasks which I've mostly done, like hanging wallpaper or laying tile or flooring in an attic, etc...

And lastly, is there a brand or company whose vinyl siding is rated higher than others? In all aspects: Appearance - Durability - Ease of Application - Maintenance, etc...

So far I've managed to do all the remodeling myself and would like to be able to continue saying that when it's all said and done.

Thanks!
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 22, 2007, 06:04 AM
    I Feel If You Can Do The Other Work This Is Just Something You'll Pick Up Just Fine, Its Not Hard, However It Will Help If You Have A Metal Brake, For The Fascia Boards, You'll Also Need To Wrap The Brickmolding Or Any other Molding You Have So You Don't Have To Paint That Again Either,
    When Cutting The Viynl You Need To Leave About A 1/4 Short For Expansion, The Only Other Trick Is The J-channel And How You Cut It, My Best Advise Is To Get Some Good Snips To Cut With For Viynl And A Little Speed Square, This Helps With The Angles,

One Tip Ill Give You Is If Your Going Up The Gable End And You Get To The Angel Pieces, Take A Small Piece And Slide To One End, When The Take Part Of The Sideing Hits The Angel And You Can't Go Any Further, Measure From The Bottom Of The Sideing Over, And That Measurement Is What You Take Off The Top To Give You That Angle. Good Luck,

One More Thing You Don't Have To Use The Insulation Unless You Decide To Keep Your Old Siding Up, This Will Help Flatten Out The Wall When You Viynl It.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Vinyl is so easy, I did a older home I had in GA and have done a few of my rental houses. The one in GA, I sat and gave instructions and my teenage boys did the entire house in 3 days.

Places like Home Depo ( In the US) even have classes on doing it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Algae on vinyl siding [ 5 Answers ]

I have never regretted putting low maintenance vinyl siding on my house in 1985. Low doesn't mean zero. I am now having problems with algae on the North side. It is the perfect environment, shaded and damp, and the ancient red wood deck doesn't help either. A few years ago I spent a hard day's...

How do I choose the right vinyl siding? [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to hire a contractor to put vinyl siding on my farm house, replacing the aluminum siding damaged by hail. I've heard quality of vinyl runs across the board. I don't want the cheap stuff they put on slab vinyl box homes. Some questions I have are: What should I look for in choosing...

How to paint vinyl siding [ 4 Answers ]

I can not find a certain color for vinyl siding and have explored the alternatives to vinyl. Is there a paint and or process to paint vinyl for a long lasting finish?

Diy siding installation [ 2 Answers ]

I am considering residing my house with cement board siding. My main question is how does one handle protrusions such as electrical and gas meters. Do you somehow remove these items or do you cut the siding to fit around them? I want a professional appearance.

Hardiplank vs vinyl siding which is best [ 2 Answers ]

We are in the process of residing our home after having a car back into it:( . The contractor highly praises hardiplank but the window salesman claims that his vinyl siding is superior. How do you choose? We are open to any and all suggestions.

View more questions Search