Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Jul 21, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Morning headaches?
    I’ve been having headaches everyday for weeks when I wake up. The headaches last till noon, sometimes longer, and Tylenol isn’t helping. I think I’m sleeping well and I don’t think I’m depressed or stressed anymore than usual. I know I should go to the doctor, I just don’t want to. Dose anyone else have or had this problem before? If so what was the cause?
    daisymactx Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Jul 25, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Could you possibly be grinding your teeth while you sleep? I have TMJ and grind like a saw, especially under stress, but I didn't know it until I got married. That causes terrible headaches.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 27, 2007, 03:52 AM
    You could have a sinus headache.Do you sleep with a fan blowing in your room,or the windows open at night?Motrin works best for me,I also have TMJ,and sinus problems.Eye problems will cause headaches,so you may need to have your eyes checked.
    angelo dundee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 04:01 AM
    Sometimes I get those headaches too. Mine are caused by going into a deep sleep very quickly. I use an over the counter migrane medicine and they usually go away in about 15minutes.

Jul 27, 2007, 08:32 AM
    An easy way to see if you have TMJ is to put your fingers in your ears and open and shut your mouth. If you feel, or hear, any crunching or unevenness you could have TMJ. The normal jaw moves smoothly.

There are products you can get at the drug store that are sleep guards for your mouth. They mold to your teeth and make your bite even, so that you don't need to grind. It's an easy way to see if that is the problem. Of course, if you have really good insurance and can afford it, go to a dentist to find out.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 27, 2007, 08:39 AM
    TMJ or teeth grinding is a good possibility.

I had a lot of morning headaches because of the way I moved in my sleep. I bought a pillow like this: Ergonomic pillow which helped a LOT by keeping my head/neck in a better position.
    There is also this type of pillow: another pillow

Jul 27, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo dundee
    Sometimes I get those headaches too. Mine are caused by going into a deep sleep very quickly. I use an over the counter migrane medicine and they usually go away in about 15minutes.

It takes me about 30 min to get to sleep but I do go into a deep sleep once I get to sleep.

Jul 27, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daisymactx
    An easy way to see if you have TMJ is to put your fingers in your ears and open and shut your mouth. If you feel, or hear, any crunching or unevenness you could have TMJ. The normal jaw moves smoothly.

There are products you can get at the drug store that are sleep guards for your mouth. They mold to your teeth and make your bite even, so that you don't need to grind. It's an easy way to see if that is the problem. Of course, if you have really good insurance and can afford it, go to a dentist to find out.

I do hear popping on the right side but it seems to be my ear not my jaw. I have to go to the dentist soon. I guess he could tell me if I might have TMJ?

Jul 27, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LearningAsIGo
    TMJ or teeth grinding is a good possibility.

I had a lot of morning headaches because of the way I moved in my sleep. I bought a pillow like this: Ergonomic pillow which helped a LOT by keeping my head/neck in a better position.
    There is also this type of pillow: another pillow

I paid about $50 for one of those from my chiropractor years ago and it did help with problems I have with my neck when I used it. Most of the time though I ended up throwing it on the floor in my sleep.

Jul 27, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input. Morning headaches were one of the problems my Dad had before he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I have to admit that I was worried that might be the problem. I feel better knowing that it might not be such a major thing causing the headaches. Thanks again!

Jul 28, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Stonewilder,

The ear is butted up to the jaw joint, so if you hear popping in your ear, it could be your jaw joint. Ask your dentist - he should be able to let you know. Another clue is if you get a worse headache after eating something chewy or chewing gum.

Good luck
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 30, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewilder
    I’ve been having headaches everyday for weeks when I wake up. The headaches last till noon, sometimes longer, and Tylenol isn’t helping. I think I’m sleeping well and I don’t think I’m depressed or stressed anymore than usual. I know I should go to the doctor, I just don’t want to. Dose anyone else have or had this problem before? If so what was the cause?

Mild Headache

I know a little late - but just good reference site

Grace and Peace
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Here is another possibility

Perhaps it is triggered by low blood sugar? I know this causes morning headaches in myself when I sleep in longer/ don't eat enough at night. Try having a snack before bed to see if that causes any improvement.
    Alorianna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewilder
    Hello, I wake up every morning with a headache. Its not like most other headaches that I can suffer from, these are lighter and not as deep a hurt. It is annoying and originally I suspected that the headache was from the fan blowing on me from the window. So I try not to let the fan blow on my face. I will sleep with my back towards the fan. I suffer from sinusitus and also have TMJ. Not really sure what the headaches are from, but Im delving more into this problem everyday, will let you know what I find out. :)
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Aug 14, 2007, 03:32 AM
    Have you solved your headache problems yet? Another thing it could be is your eyes are trying to adjust to your new glasses.I was prescribed glasses and hate wearing them because I get headaches.

Aug 14, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pompano
    Have you solved your headache problems yet? another thing it could be is your eyes are trying to adjust to your new glasses.I was prescribed glasses and hate wearing them because I get headaches.

I'm going to a chiropractor now and I'm starting to feel much better. I think maybe it was stress built up in my neck and shoulders. I feel like I've been in a car wreck but I'm feeling better with each adjustment. At least my headaches have gone away. Thanks for asking.
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2008, 12:50 AM
    I sleep for long periods sometimes, like 12-16 hrs, and that is when I get headaches like these. Me and my doctor did some brainstorming and decided that dehydration is a part of it. If I get up, take a shower, and drink water for a few minutes, the headaches subside rather quickly!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Headaches? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having painful headaches that start at the back of my head and go all the way to my temple for the past two weeks. I wake up with them I am tired all the time and now the headaches are getting worse. They seem to last for hours and go away for a couple of minutes but come back...

Headaches or something else [ 1 Answers ]

My friend has always suffered with headaches even during his childhood. I've talked to him about it and he won't give me any lead as to what is causing them. I don't know much about the headaches, but I do know that he used to have clinic visits for them and he was taking some kind of medicine....

Headaches [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am prone to headaches, usually around my period. I am a 23 year old female and have had a headache for two weeks straight(its not around my period) and was wondering if its normal to have a headache this long. I have taken over the counter prescription, nothing, called my doctor but because...

Headaches [ 5 Answers ]

I get headaches often (occationally migranes) but for the last two days I have had one quite different. Whenever I get up (from sitting, standing etc) it starts to hurt. In the beginning it was a little left of the top of my head and was VERY painful. It continued to bother me whenever I got up....

Headaches ! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My Glasses Got Broke And I Am Havig A Bad Time Getting Help .I Have No Income The Medical Assintance Office Is Giving Me A Run Around . I Keep Filling Out The Same Paper Work And When I Asked My Case Worker Why She Said This Is Normal . And When I Talked To Other People Who Are On Assintance...

View more questions Search