Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dreamingangei38 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 06:18 PM
    My disable child is getting picked on
    My 15 year old is disable and gets a ssi check ,I live in a govt, low income housing , the manger is trying to evicte me just because they clam to be getting complants just only because someone was telling lies on my dauther on things that she did not do such as drowing dirty pictures or penis on the walls when it was done by another child that's a 14 year boy but the guy fail to report it cause they were trying to evict him as well and he saw the boy do it, and some one saying my dauther and 2 friends were smoking pot out side, I got my dauther tested it was NEG. for any drugs , I feel like some older tennets just don't like my dauther and making up lies on her ,the land lord knows my daught was in the children's mental hospital for 6 month. The manger gave me a excellent ref. saying that they NEVER had no problem with me (the mother) even gave a good later saying I'm a excellent resident and had all ways paid my rent on time and that they have never had any problems with me, but yet I feel as if they are picking on my dauther because they don't like her and don't want her here, we do live in a appt, that gos by the income and the govt, help pays, what should I do? Ps this is so wrong please give me some advice. Please tell me the law on disable child and low income housing cause I want to stay here and fight them, the manger is sooo very wrong, please share the law on her rights and maybe a web site that I can go to on this to make a complant , I live in NC
    What ever happen to (equal housing opportunity)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Call your local Housing Authority and lodge a complaint of discrimination and/or harassment. You can also contact HUD, since this is a federally funded housing project and make a complaint with them about how you and your daughter are being treated. The Department of Justice handles complaints about violations concerning the ADA regulations, but I am not sure that is where you need to go with this. What is going on is not physical discrimination but other types.

Complaints - HUD
    http://www.charlestonhousing.com/Hou...int%20Form.pdf
    Fair Housing
    Housing Discrimation - What Types of Housing Discrimination are Protected Under the Fair Housing Act

You most likely qualify for the state's Legal Aid services. Give them a call and ask to speak to an attorney there. The fees are often free to low income people or on a sliding scale fee. If Legal Aid cannot help you, they will know who can. You need to talk to someone who knows the laws and how to advocate for you and your daughter.

Question - where are you when your daughter is supposedly doing these things that draw complaints from other tenants? Why isn't she supervised by you?

Jul 22, 2007, 06:15 AM
    My dauther is bipolor and learning problems , she's not retarted by all means, she's all most 16 years old, We live in a very old cotton mill on the 3rd floor that was made in to apts. ( not to forget that we have bats that come in to my appt, from the cloest that I have complaned about but nothing ever done,) I feel like just because my daught has these problems someone , if there is some one don't like her, the drug test came out negative, so that report was a lie and I feel as if there were made up reports on her when my land lord said some one saw her drawing pictures, as I had had in my first letter it was not her,
    As for me I'm at home and she don't all ways wonder out , she don't need a sitter she's like any other teenage girl but with her disabillities, I just feel like since my land lord knows she's been in the hospital that she think my dauther is a bad child, she's on 6 medcations,
    Ps they are all ways and I mean all ways evicting someday every week , can't keep any tenets here,
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 07:11 AM
    I do not see where the manager is picking on you, or trying to evict you because of your daughters disability. He is acting upon a list of complaints by other residents. This list of complaits is just that, not based on mental status but activities she is blamed with.

In some housing situations, if there are enough complaints from a wide group of other residents, this can be used to evict someone.
    I have not seen a single issue you listed that dealth with the daughters mental health status, merely a list of complaints the manager is getting from other residents.

The main issue is proof, without proper proof that she is doing it, I am not sure they can evict, but if they get enough complaints ( in writing normally) form a lot of various other tennants, then that may be enough to go to housing court to ask for an eviction. If the complaints were from one to two people, but if there are a lot of complaints, odds are there has to be some truths to them.

Jul 22, 2007, 10:04 AM
    I disagree with u, one complant was that she was seen smoking pot. Will that drug test was negative, it was by a old man that don't like kids, the other complant was false about her drowing on the walls because a friend said it was not heather that done them drowings that it was a tenents son's friend that did it, he was moving out and my friend was helping him, he saw the boy drowing pictures but did not say any thing because they were trying to evicte him but he won in court and got to stay, I'm going to hold a meeting with the mangers and the child disable laws, them complants were fales cause they did not know who really did it and since my daugther is disable and on probation they were blamming her, so you are so wrong
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2007, 11:02 AM
    To hold a meeting with the manager and you and your child is a great idea. I hope you have your daughter's case manager there also and a legal rights advocate (someone from housing authority or fair housing or from a protection & advocacy agency or legal aid). Do not go into that meeting alone and without backup. Have everything you have said, documented with dates and people and times.

Jul 22, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    To hold a meeting with the manager and you and your child is a great idea. I hope you have your daughter's case manager there also and a legal rights advocate (someone from housing authority or fair housing or from a protection & advocacy agency or legal aid). Do not go into that meeting alone and without backup. Have everything you have said, documented with dates and people and times.

.my dauther does has a case manger and she knows about it and she will be there, I'm getting a lady from the disbilies govt. advocacy to be there as well as the man that saw that little boy that drowed them pictures as well as the drug test, do u know of any thing else on line that I can pull up and read? If so please let me know , every thing helps,
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2007, 12:49 PM
    I think you have it covered pretty well. If nothing else gets accomplished in this meeting beyond people understanding that you will not be pushed by other tenants and will not tolerate the gossip about your daughter, you will have accomplished more than you have right now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Getting your bones picked cleaned [ 5 Answers ]

Anybody out there tired of getting there brains beat in by blackjack, you could be making costly mistakes or playing in second rate games and having your bones picked clean before you even finished your first beer. Maybe I could give you some sound advive in the do's and dont's about the...

Recorded my sleep and picked up weird ghostly talks [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hi I have been told I need a sleep study done on me, am so tired in the mornings. I did buy a recorder, digital one and before bed put it on. It is voice activated. I had what I thought was a nightmare, thought someone was strangling me, had hard time breathing, then woke up. I did...

I picked up a pregnant stray yesterday [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the desert and it was 127 yesterday and I seen a stray cat outside a truck stop. She is as big as a house. So I decided it's too hot to let her stay in this heat so I took her home. Well anyway she was acting very sweet and loving and later last night she started hissing at everyone that...

View more questions Search