Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rocksteady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Upgrade from a Weathertron to a Honeywell RTH230B Thermostat
    [F]I have an old weathertron thermostat (about 25 yrs old). We have central air and heating in our town home and I just purchased a Honeywell RTH230B programmable thermostat to replace it.

I am unaware as to how to connect the new honeywell to my system because it has 5 slots for wires, but my old unit utilized 6 wires.

I've got:
    O=Orange wire
    G=Brown wire
    Y=Yellow wire
    X2
    B=Blue wire
    U
    W
    F
    R=Red wire
    T=Black wire

But only the: O, G, Y, B, R, and T are being used.

The thermostat has an aux and emergency heat function, which I don't think we've ever used the emergency heat living in Southern California.

I'm pretty bewildered, I just thought matching up the colors would suffice but I don't think it's that simple anymore...
    :confused:
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2007, 03:24 PM
    What are the terminals on the new thermostat? It looks like the heat wasn't hooked up on the old thermostat, this is a heat pump, correct?
    rocksteady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    What are the terminals on the new thermostat? It looks like the heat wasn't hooked up on the old thermostat, this is a heat pump, correct?
    I'm going to have to get back to you on this. I just discovered that my old thermostat was a multistage unit and my new honeywell is only a single stage. I'm going to exchange it for the multistage Honeywell Vision Conventional 5-1-1-Day Programmable Thermostat (RTH7400D).

I hope I can figure it out then. If not, I will definitely ask another question and provide more detailed info.

Thanks!
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2007, 04:14 PM
    The "t' terminel will not be used ,tape it off , the red will go to "R", the "B" is a "C" or common on the new stat, Brown wll go to "G" on new stat , orange to "O" and Yellow to "Y" It does not look like you had it wired for two stage thermostat. The x-2 was for emergency heat and the "T" was for a thermister on the outside unit. The "W" could have been hooked up for second stage heat, if you had it.
    This is an old GE or Trane thermostat.
    callmerr4305 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    [F]I have an old weathertron thermostat (about 25 yrs old). We have central air and heating in our town home and I just purchased a Honeywell RTH230B programmable thermostat to replace it.

I am unaware as to how to connect the new honeywell to my system b/c it has 5 slots for wires, but my old unit utilized 6 wires.

I've got:
    O=Orange wire
    G=Brown wire
    Y=Yellow wire
    X2
    B=Blue wire
    U
    W
    F
    R=Red wire
    T=Black wire

But only the: O, G, Y, B, R, and T are being used.

The thermostat has an aux and emergency heat function, which I don't think we've ever used the emergency heat living in Southern California.

I'm pretty bewildered, I just thought matching up the colors would suffice but I don't think it's that simple anymore...
    :confused:
    I have an old weathertron thermostat. I jut purchased a honeywell RTH230B programmable thermostat to replace it. Honeywell have 5 wires RH, RC, W, Y, G. But my old unit utilized 8 wires; G green, Y yellow, X2 black, B blue, U_W white, O orange, R red, T brown.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 06:14 PM
    You have the wrong thermostat

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Weathertron thermostat with Honeywell [ 7 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace our Weathertron thermostat with a Honeywell RTH3100C. We have a Trane heatpump system. I am having trouble with the wiring. My wires don't match the 'less common wire designations' in the manual. I have the following wires on the Weathertron: R-red T-brown O-orange...

Honeywell rth230b thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

We hooked up the honeywell programmable thermostat and it was working fine for 10 days or so until this weekend when the temperature should be at 67 all day from 6am to 10pm and 62 from 10pm until 6am on sat and sun. this weekend the thermostat does not bring the temp up to 67 but it leaves it at...

Honeywell RTH230B Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed Honeywell #RTH230B thermostat to replace and old Honeywell # T87F( old round non digitital type). I have oil burner with basebaord water heat. Since my olf thermostat was 2 wire only and I have no AC I pulled the jumper wire between Rh and Rc as per the instructions. Thj9is...

Honeywell Thermostat RTH230B [ 4 Answers ]

I see there are a few questions on this one, but mine seems simple. I have Red, Yellow, Green and White leads from the old Thermostat. I have no idea where to place the leads, in the channels under the screws or the channels on top. My leads do not reach from out of the wall to go under, and if it...

View more questions Search