Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rickslane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Priming cedar shakes siding
    Do I have to use an oil base primer when repainting my cedar shake siding. This is the method I've used in the past, but after a few years, the paint still cracks and peels.

I've been told that I can use an acrylic water base primer, but I want to be sure before doing so to prevent an error.

Thank you,

Rick
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Jul 23, 2007, 09:21 PM
    There isn't really any significant difference between oil based and water based primers and paints these days. Over the last ten or so years (I really am guessing here about the time), increased awareness and concern for health and environmental factors have pretty much eliminated the ingredients in oil based products that made them different.

A primer that I use almost all the time (and I haven't found anything better) is "Zinsser Bulls Eye 123" water base primer.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preparing Cedar Shakes For Painting [ 1 Answers ]

I have cedar shingles/shakes for siding that I am preparing to re-paint. The existing paint job is old and pealing heavily in some spots. I already know that I will be replacing some of the shingles, as some are already gone or are in the process of falling off. I was thinking of pressure...

Cedar Shakes [ 2 Answers ]

Our cedar shakes have been painted with regular exterior paint and it is time to repaint. What paint is best?

Cedar siding painting [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know that the cedar siding should be primed and painted before installation on both sides or primed and painted after installation just on exterior side ( only one side that is exposed to weather). Thanks

Cedar Siding installation [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing 18" Cedar siding boards. My problem is installing them around a bay extension where the angles are 22 degrees. No matter how precise I cut those joints, they look awful. I waste more material than needed and I cannot make the joints look neat. I have had to resort to using...

How to Prep & Paint Cedar Shakes [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. We moved into our house last summer and need to paint it this year. It has cedar shakes which are in very good shape. Lots of peeling on everything other than the shakes though. Can anyone offer advice on how to prep and paint cedar shakes? For example, do I need to scrape, prime, then...

View more questions Search