Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladylyn2801 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Lawn mower timing
    I need to know how I can find out how to fet the timing just right on my mower
    I have a 12.5 Briggs and stratton engine. It won't start because the timing is off. If any one can help me. Would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Linda
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Jul 22, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Ignition timing is not adjustable, the flywheel is kept in time with the magneto (coil) by a timing pin that shear. It would need to be replaced.

Don
    1639frazier Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 06:52 AM
    In the case of a O.H.V. engine it could be valve adj. bent push rods or in my case a bent camshaft. I know that info. Is advanced but in my case it took a while to figure out. How did it happen? A valve keeper broke and the engine sucked a valve causing internal damage
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 09:18 PM
    If The Engine Has Not Been Disassembled With The Sump Pan (bottom Of Engine) Removed, Then The Only Other "timing" Setting Is The Flywheel Key. There Is No Adjustment To The Flywheel Key Timing. It Either Has The Key Inserted And Not "sheared" Or It Doesn't.
    Remove The Blower Housing(top Of Engine Cover), Some Have To Have The Oil Fill Tube Removed, And The Screen Will Have To Be Removed. Then Remove The Large Bolt In The Center, And Sometimes There Will Be Two Smaller Bolts Holding The Cooling Fan. And Visually Inspect The Flywheel Key For Alignment. If It Is Sheared It Will Be Easily Seen As There Will Two Pieces Of Keys In Two Different Spots, And All Flywheels Only Have One Key Way And Key.
    Fox racer Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2009, 11:22 AM

The overhead valve engine requires a valve adjustment occasionally, this is done by removing the valve cover, turning the engine to top dead center on the compression stroke and going past top dead center 1/4". Then with a feeler gauge you set the valve clearance to .004, you can purchase a repair manual from your nearest Briggs & Stratton dealer that instructs you step by step on how to do this, the manual is less than $20.00 and is a great investment for a doitselfer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

Lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

I need a pulley diagram

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Toro 1744HXL riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

I need a diagram for replacing the belt in the mowing deck of a Toro 17-44HLX riding mower

JD Lawn Mower-Mower Disengages While in Use [ 1 Answers ]

Old JD ride-on, I just bought it. Engine runs great, idles a bit fast. Mower cuts for a while (up to 5 minutes today), then blades stop turning (engine keeps running fine). The PTO switch doesn't move (stays in ON position). I can turn PTO switch off then on again, and mower will engage again...

Lawn mower help [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 poulan pro 42" 2 years old. It will start but no matter what I do it kills, like hitting the kill switch. If I let out the clutch, even in neutral it kills. Engage blades or anything it kills. And the weirdest thing is that the kill switch in the seat doesn't kill it. I really...

View more questions Search