Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptnoble Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 12:25 PM
    3 wire vs. 4 wire 200v
    I was looking at an electric dryer today in Home Depot. It said it could be wired with either 3- conductor or 4-conductor 220v service. There are two different plug types as well. Then I was looking at a spa-box (GFI disconnect) and it said it could be wired with either 3 or 4 conductor service. Of course in each case we are not counting the ground. What is the difference? When would I need/want 4-conductor for either my dryer or my hot tub?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2007, 12:33 PM
    The best and safest method for these types of appliances is the four wire system. Since the equipment ground is a definite, the neutral is mandatory for any circuit that uses the 120 volts, along with 240 volts. Only in special cases are the two allowed together.

Since the neutral is current carrying, the intent is to keep the equipment ground system free of any current.
    ptnoble Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Right, thanks. Like I said this is not counting the ground. (3 vs. 4 conductors). I already bought 10-3 wire plus ground for the dryer so I will go with the 4 prong plug. Better, right?

For the spa box what is more common? I'd hate to run a 6-3 romex wire for the spa box, seal up the walls, and then find out it would have been better to run 6-4 (or 6-3 plus an additional wire for 110).
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2007, 04:34 AM
    Correct on the dryer, #6-4 with ground is typical for a spa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 2 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search