Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hcartwright Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 07:37 AM
    adopting my nephew
    Yesterday Friday July 20, 2007 my sister was forced to sign her rights over to my dad. She had been given chance after chance and was involved with cps and having to take all of these classes and random drug tests. She failed one too many and they took my 9 month old nephew away. He was supposed to go to my dad but when they did the background check there was a battery charge from 1997 in wst virginia and Indiana. He was never convicted of these charges but now my dad has to and give his fingerprints and that may take a week. I am 22 years old( will be 23 in september) and I want to adopt him. What can I do? They have placed him in a temporary foster care already. What steps do I need to take to get him back with his family? Thanks for all of your help in advance. I am so desperate I don't kow what to do. I do have a steady job at a hospital. I am also in nursing school. WIll any of this affect me getting custody.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jul 23, 2007, 09:00 AM
    You need to contact your nephew's caseworker and let them know of your interest in guardianship/adoption. They will tell you the requirements.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2007, 03:33 PM
    You can file a motion with the court for custody. Has your father been formally awarded custody already or was that just a temporary arrangement? If he has, that'll make your case harder. If he hasn't, then anything could happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My nephew [ 6 Answers ]

Ok, here is the situation: I had to take my nephew home, and his mom really doesn't like him sitting in the front seat, (he is five years old) so I was going to have him sit in the back, but when I opened the back door, he refused to get in, so I automatically assumed he just was a kid who...

Guardianship of Nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My Sister was recently killed in an auto accident in N.C. Her 10 year old son, my nephew, is with me in Arizona. I need to get Legal Guardianship so I can enroll him in school, take to hospital if needed etc. If anyone has been through this please respond. Thank You, Terry W.

Nephew in trouble [ 7 Answers ]

My nephew is in trouble. It isn't the first time. He has done 6 moths jail for selling marijuana (actually a probation violation put him in the pokey). Several years later he got a F-3 for possession of cocaine and he did a year. Well, he was caught in Feb. with three other guys and charged...

My baby nephew [ 4 Answers ]

Do aunts have rights to see their nephew? I don't know

Custody of my nephew [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to have guardianship of my nephew who is being negleted. How do I go about it legally? What are some of my obstacles? Please give me some help.

View more questions Search