Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GIJane1968 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Our Computer keeps crashing.
    My husband and I are concerned because he uses his computer for his business.

Anyway it seems like lately it's been crashing a lot. The first time it crashed on me was about 2 weeks ago. Now it seems to be crashing a couple times a day.

One of us will be using a program like Excel, file maker pro, or photoshop and the hard drive will be churning away then all the desk top icons will disappear or the screen freezes.

I know he listens to a lot of internet radio and stuff while working not sure if that's part of the problem. We have also ran a full virus scan of our software using Panda Antivirus. With no virus found

Does anyone have any ideas what may be the problem may be, and how we may fix it?

Thanks in advance,
    GI Jane 1968
    douglassolomons Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 11:48 PM
    Hi there GIJane1968.
    There's too many causes of the symptoms you described, however this is the time you NEED to back-up your data.
    You need to think on buying another hard disk drive.
    If your hard disk drive is still under warrantee you could request a replacement.
    spycobra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 11:55 PM
    Might be a really bad problem you hsould really consider just gettinga knew one. Cause if its your mother board. Then you should just spend the money on a new computer. That one you have just is giving up. Nothing last forever.
    Luxavius Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 21, 2007, 01:31 AM
    Computers use RAM (random access memory) to run programs while you are using them. If the RAM is being used too much, then things will start to crash. I recommend going to Start > My Computer, right clicking on the C: drive > Properties, and see if you have at least 10 gigabytes of memory free as this is recommended. Also, in the C: properties, click on the Tools tab and then Defragment Now (recommended to do once a month).

If you suspect it is a virus or similar, you can go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and restore your computer to a point before the problem started to occur.

And of course, you need to use Spybot and other anti-spyware and anti-viral programs to keep your computer safe.

The alternative to is to format your hard drive and start over!
    GIJane1968 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Hello again,

Thanks for all the input... I hope we don't need a new computer... we just bought it about a year ago.

I did run the defragger last night and it took a long time to defrag the C drive. I also looked at the RAM available and it says used space is 43.7 GB and 180 GB free space.

If we do a system restore will we loose data? We try to store most of our important stuff on an external hard drive. Also I have the desktop the external HD and my laptop all networked.

I just had the "blue screen of death" on the laptop and recovered all my data, and replaced the HD. Of course now that one is running fine.

I guess my main question is about the system restore... will that just reset Windows XP?
    Thanks again,
    GI Jane 1968
    jonbee47 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJane1968
    My husband and I are concerned because he uses his computer for his business.

Anyways it seems like lately it's been crashing alot. The first time it crashed on me was about 2 weeks ago. Now it seems to be crashing a couple times a day.

One of us will be using a program like Excel, file maker pro, or photoshop and the hard drive will be churning away then all the desk top icons will disapear or the screen freezes.

I know he listens to alot of internet radio and stuff while working not sure if that's part of the problem. We have also ran a full virus scan of our software using Panda Antivirus. With no virus found

Does anyone have any ideas what may be the problem may be, and how we may fix it?

Thanks in advance,
    GI Jane 1968
    Try reg cure download it for about £20,if it doesn't work or if it does you can get your money back (30 day trial)...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiger Crashing On Startup [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Mac Mini and recently it has been crashing either on the logon prompt, or when there is no logon promt (after a reinstall of the os) on the desktop. This always seems to be happening after I run the software update. Is there any know issues with some update from apple that could cause this...

PC crashing randomly, P4 2.66 ghz Pentium D [ 1 Answers ]

PC Crashing, I got Pentium D 2.66ghz 80gb hard disk, 512 ram (all good I mean) some months back. Now it crashes occasionally and unlike usual system crashes it doesnot restart. Monitor says no signal and computer is not restarted andi cannot turn it on with its power button. The only solution is to...

Computer keeps crashing [ 2 Answers ]

my computer starts making a cranking noise and it freezes. I get a blue screen which says I need to check my newly installed programs or software, it has an eroor code: stop: oxoooooooF4 (oxooooooo3, 0x8658EDAo, ox8658EF14, ox805D114o) I have no idea what is causing the problem, if anyone knows...

Internet explorer crashing [ 7 Answers ]

I'm having trouble with my enternet explorer crashing when I close it. :mad: I've turned off my browser add ons,but it still keeps closing saying it encountered problen,I send report every time. Any help out there plzzzzz;)

Explorer crashing [ 6 Answers ]

My problem is similar to this one :https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/archive/t-1281.html Internet Explorer when launched opens its window then promptly shuts down. Also, then Explorer is opened to view any drive, control panel, etc. it too opens then explorer promptly crashes and then restarts. The...

View more questions Search