Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajb0221 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 08:47 PM
    Doctor told me costs were covered then billed me. Do I still pay?
    I am Canadian and while staying in the State of Georgia I broke my hand and required surgery. My emergency travel medical insurance covered the surgery and the follow up visit to remove the stitches. My Insurance Company advised me that any further follow up appointments or treatments were not covered and that any further treatment should be done once I returned to Canada. I called the Doctors office and advised them that I would need to cancel any further appointments as I no longer had insurance coverage and could not afford any out of pocket expense. They advised that all follow up visits within 90 days of surgery are covered so I kept my appointment. When I arrived at the appointment I told the nurse that I no longer have insurance and could not afford to pay for any treatments, she said no problem it’s covered and sent me for x-rays. I then saw the doctor and told him about my insurance and not able to pay for treatments to which he said no worries they were covered. I had a total of 2 follow up visits both with x-rays. I have now received a bill for the x-rays totaling $230.00. I called the office and spoke to someone in billing that said that I am still responsible for the costs incurred regardless of advising them that I did not want any treatments that I would have to pay for. Am I responsible? Do I have to pay this bill?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Sounds like you have a plausible defence if they take you to small claims court.

But, it will be up to the Judge in the end. What proof do you have that they said this?

Because all they will say is you never told them about no insurance, and they will say you are lying…and you did receive the services.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:09 PM
    You probably do. At least in the U.S. you would. Ignorance on the part of the medical personnel as to the extent of your insurance coverage would not be a valid reason not to pay.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2007, 07:20 PM
    If you can prove what you said and what they said, you have a valid defence. Let them sue you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed costs vs. Variable costs [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please check my answers. -Classify each of the following items of factory overhead as either a fixed or a variable cost. (Include any costs you consider to be semivariable within the variable category) a. Indirect labor- fixed costs could be variable under certain circumstances b....

Doctor bill. Pay or not pay [ 5 Answers ]

I was working through workers comp claim. I was sent by my Dr to a Dr to treat me for depression. After I received a bill from the Psychologist telling me that my insurance was not paying for the bill and that it was my responsibility to pay her, I then stopped seeing her. Now I am being taken to...

No way to pay medical costs. [ 1 Answers ]

My son-in-law's father just suffered a heart attack and stroke. He is presently hospitalized and scheduled to be airlifted to Mayo because of kidney failure. I know him and his family well. They have no insurance. They have no source of income. They have absolutely nothing of any value nor...

Double-Billed [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My wife recently went in for a physical exam. They found her blood-pressure was a bit high so the doctor advised her to cut back on salt and get exercise. I just got the bill and found that they billed extra. I called the doctor's office and was told that the doctor billed for an...

Billed unfairly? [ 3 Answers ]

I rent a house and am resposible for my own fuel costs. 2 months ago a fuel company filled my tank without me even calling or opening an account. The rate they charged me was 20 cents cheaper per gallon than any other company. I paid the bill and asked for the tank to be topped off again. A new...

View more questions Search