Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bearhugs5334 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 06:58 PM
    401k lost
    I had a 401k at another job I was out of work 4 about a year when I got my new job got full time I tried 2 roll my 401k over 2 my new retirement plan now its been about 5 years guardian corporation the 1 I was through said the state took it is there any way I can get it back there was a lot of money invested in it:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 20, 2007, 07:51 PM
    I'm confused, you were out of work for only a year or for 5 years. Your company shouldn't have forwarded the funds to the state in such a short time as a year.

However, most states have escheat laws. These laws state that unclaimed property gets turned over to the state after a period. You may have seen listings in a local paper from banks or insurance companies listing unclaimed funds. This is in preparation of turning them over to the state. I've never heard of this happening to a 401K though.

But if that's what happened, just contact your state's escheat department (start with the state Treasury dept). And you should get your money back, though it may not have earned any income from the time it was turned over to the state.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 07:47 AM
    In most states (perhaps all?) financial institutions are required to turn any "lost" assets over to the state for safe-keeping. Perhaps you didn't notify the administrator of your old 401(k) account of a change of address, so they turned the money over once they couldn't locate you. Do a Google search on "unclaimed assets" and your state name, and you should be directed to a web site that will help you. Most states have a web search feature that lets you see if there are any lost assets in your name. You will then have to submit a claim form to get it back. One caveat - since this money is for your 401(k), as soon as you get the money from the state you must immediately roll all of it to a roll-over IRA to avoid tax penalties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I lost the love I felt, I lost the only thing that ever matterd [ 24 Answers ]

Wow I shouldn't even be feeling pain like this, I am so use to it! Anyway it all started 15 months ago and like a lot of heart ache and problems it started with a girl. We hooked up at a bar but I knew her before hand. She use to be with a guy I knew back in high school and since I line in such a...

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Lost with what to do. [ 3 Answers ]

Ive been in a long distance relationship that started over the internet nine months ago with a girl that's in medical school. The first six months or so were amazing, the last two months however have not exactly been the best, when I would fly up there to see her, I was always edgy and not all...

Lost 401K [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find old 401K. From my other Jobs in the past?

I lost my 401K [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had a 401K with my first Job out of college in 2002. 9months later the company unexpectedly went out of business. I always thought I would get info on the 401k in the mail, but nothing ever came and I don't even remember what company they set it up with. Is there anyway to look it up?

View more questions Search