Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dadam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 03:35 PM
    401k distribution
    I have 78,000.00 in my 401k and I'm getting laid off without any severance. I've got 19k in debt. Would it make sense to take a distribution and suck up the 10% fee and taxes to pay off the debt?
    adeena Posts: 19, Reputation: 6

Jul 20, 2007, 04:46 PM
    First - I'm not an accountant or financial advisor - I'm just someone who's had my share of debt issues.

If I were in your situation, I would be asking myself the following questions:
    1) once I'm laid off, where is my next income coming from (i.e. do I have another job?)
    2) what's in my savings account?
    3) how much do I need to live per month?

It sounds like your first priority is to make sure you have a new job and income and can support yourself - getting rid of the debt might be second priority.

You didn't say what kind of debt it is - if it's a 401k loan, then you might not have another choice. If it's any other kind of debt, then why not (continue?) to make regular monthly payments on it? If you can do that, it probably makes more sense than a 401k distribution...

... but then again, I'm not a financial advisor or accountant. :)

-Adeena
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 21, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Four words:

DO NOT DO IT!

The tax bite will destroy you. Leave your 401K alone or roll it over into a rollover IRA.

Pay the minimum balance on the credit card debt while you look for another job.

Once you have another job, then work to set up a budget to deal with the $19K in debt.

Leave the 401K/IRA money for your retirement. That is WHY you set it up to begin with!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k Distribution [ 4 Answers ]

My husband Paul was permanently laid off from his job in December 2005, at the age of 60. He has approximately $130,000 in his 401(k) plan. He worked for the company for 20 years and is fully vested in the plan. I am his wife and am 51 years old. Neither of us is currently employed. For...

401k distribution [ 1 Answers ]

My husband died in 2006, he had a 401k with me (spouse) as his benificiary. We have 2 young sons and I cashed out the 401k to use for the down payment of a primary residence. All of the paperwork has not been done, but I will get all of the papers in order during 2007. Is there a certain amount...

401K distribution expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I cashed out my 401K from my old job in June. The mandatory 20% ( federal taxes) was taken from the amount I received. I know I also need to pay state taxes, and the 10% early withdrawal fee. Do I just send the state a check ( how would I figure the amount ? ), or just wait until I fill out my...

401K Distribution penalty [ 3 Answers ]

I had no choice but to take a hardship withdrawal from my 401K after being let go by my employer. It was a difficult time also having been displaced by a house fire and having to rebuild our home and pay for a portion of our alternate living expenses not covered by the insurance company. Being a...

View more questions Search